Sunset problems

C. Hand

I am a newbie out having fun with my camera. I love taking out door landscapes, sunsets and nature shots. I have a question, what is causing these halo lines in my sunset pictures? Is it my lens? Can I get rid of them in Post production?

D7100
Nikon 55-200MM 4-5.6 G VR II
Hoya UV Filter
Shot in Aperture control
Auto white balance on (May be my mistake)
Sunset 11.jpgSunset 12.jpg

Thank You

cbay

Don't know a proper description except to say it comes from the intensity of color and light from the sun. :) It's not your lens causing trouble. One way to reduce it in post is by lowering highlights.

C. Hand

In my raw and my JPGs it is a very hard line. Uploading it here has softened it a great deal. I was just wondering it shows up in most of my sunset photos where the sun is present.

Scott Murray

I am a newbie out having fun with my camera. I love taking out door landscapes, sunsets and nature shots. I have a question, what is causing these halo lines in my sunset pictures? Is it my lens? Can I get rid of them in Post production?

D7100
Nikon 55-200MM 4-5.6 G VR II
Hoya UV Filter
Shot in Aperture control
Auto white balance on (May be my mistake)
View attachment 196478View attachment 196479

Thank You
Try using a circular polarising filter, but I think what you are seeing are the effects of jpeg. Shoot in Raw only and it should be nullified. But if its the orange glow you see around the sun this is normal and the camera can see more colour ranges than your eye (well capture in an instance anyway). But these look great to me.