SD card compatibility

Kelleytech

Hello, I am new to DSLRs and just picked up a D5500. I got a 128gb Samsung EVO microSD card and it is recognized in my card reader, Canon SX500is etc, but not by my D5500. Is there any reason or maybe a firmware issue that anyone knows of that would keep it from working with a big EVO? My 32gb EVO works fine just not the 128gb. Thanks for any input..

Well first things first. Welcome to the forum. Second thing why would you ever need a 128GB card in a camera? Do you have any idea how many photos that would hold? Better to use a smaller card and transfer them to your computer and reformat. Much safer option. And shy use a Micro SD and a adapter instead of a SD card that it is designed for? Well anyway here are the cards that are approved for that camera.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19480/~/approved-memory-cards---d5500

okulo

It could well be that the card is not formatted properly for the camera.

Whilst I know that I can format SD cards using my Mac for use in my camera, I always format them in the camera to be sure that there are no slight anomalies which could cause problems.

Whilst I understand that there might not be qny need for some people to have a 128GB SD card in their camera, especially if they are only taking photos (I have been tempted to upgrade from my 32GB), I have 64GB cards in my two Panasonic camcorders because I know that video can soon fill up a 32GB card and for that reason, amongst others, I always avoid questioning what other people may or may not need.

Anyway, have you tried formatting the card in the camera?

RocketCowboy

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites!

Is the 32Gb card that works also a MicroSD card? I don't believe the micro SD cards with adapters are officially supported by Nikon, so that could be the problem. I believe the standard SD cards also have higher transfer rates, so you may see better performance with a different card.