Blur Reason

Gobae

Recently I purchased a Nikkor 85mm f1.8 lens and have been getting some blurry results. Although I must say it's happened with other lenses as well (50mm f1.8 [film era] & less frequently 70-200mm VR1). So I'm hoping that some one here can shed some light as to why this happens.

Both the photos below were taken today with my D90 and the 85mm f1.8 The only setting difference was the first (blurry) one was at ISO 200 and the second @ ISO 400 both with AF-C

DSC_4442-1.JPG

DSC_4443-2.JPG

Thanks!

Last edited:

Smoke

I am learning a prime lens myself, i have a 60mm 2.8. The 2 things I learned why mine were blurry was that I was too far away from the subject and/or I had the lens set to M "Manual" instead of A "Auto" to get that last little bit of fine tuning

egosbar

looks like camera shake , but at those shutter speeds you should of got a sharp shot , put the camera on a tripod and test some results to see if its you or the camera

nothing to do with iso

Last edited:

Deezey

Uh. The issue may be AF-C. The camera may have been trying to readjust focus when you released the shutter. These images look more out of focus than camera shake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
One thing I'd like to mention is that the quality of light has a lot to do with sharpness. Both your shots were backlit and it is possible that the lens flared a bit, reducing the contrast and the sharpness at the same time. Backlit situations sometimes require a fill-in flash or reflector.

But make certain that you use one point AF-S focus when you do portraits. Otherwise the background can distract the auto-focus and create more problems than you'd like.

mikew_RIP

I think you need to make sure your on focus priority and single point,in theory then you will not take a out of focus picture,you could run the originals through one of the nikon programs to show your focus point.

nickt

AF-C can allow shutter release without acquiring focus, but that's only if you change the factory-default Priority setting from Focus to Release.
I just took a quick look in the d90 manual. It does not appear to have the release/focus priority option. The manual describes:

AF-C For moving subjects. Camera focuses continuously while
shutter-release button is pressed halfway. Photographs can be
taken even when in-focus indicator is not displayed.

WayneF

AF-C can allow shutter release without acquiring focus, but that's only if you change the factory-default Priority setting from Focus to Release.

The manuals say that is backwards. Newer models have the menu to select priority, but the AF-C default is Release (shutter activates immediately when button is pressed). AF-S default is Focus (shutter activation requires waiting to find focus first). The A1 and A2 menu can change them.

Older models like D90 worked the same as these defaults, but no had menu to change it.

My bet is that AF-C is the prime suspect cause of the blur. Focus is probably slower in the dimmer light, but AF-C Release priority is a problem in any light, unless we hold half press and wait for it.

My notion is that Release priority for AF-C is for continuous shutter of fast motion, so it will keep looking for focus, and hopefully find it for the 2nd or 3rd shot.
But stationary subjects have absolutely no use for AF-C.

The manuals all clearly say (D90, page 54):
AF-S is for stationary subjects.
AF-C is for moving subjects.

My complaint with the older rotary switches selecting this (under the lens release button) is that they can accidentally be touched and changed to AF-C when we don't want it. Newest models finally add a push button to make this more intentional. I think it is a very exceptional fast moving subject for me to even consider anything but Single Point AF-S and focus priority. I like pictures to be in focus. :)

I strongly agree with Marcel about the single point. Single point lets us easily put focus exactly where we want it. Multiple points means we don't know where it might choose to focus. :)

Last edited:

Blacktop

The first is clearly out of focus(not camera shake). The second looks fine, but the depth of field is very shallow. You don't need to shoot f/1.8 just because the lens allows it.

Gobae

The first is clearly out of focus(not camera shake). The second looks fine, but the depth of field is very shallow. You don't need to shoot f/1.8 just because the lens allows it.

True enough, however I was shooting at 1.8 specifically because I wanted to get a feel for how much dof I will have when wide open. It wasn't until I took a look at them that I noticed the focus issue.

Deezey

But was it AF-C Release Priority? That shutter mode specifically does not wait for focus to be achieved.

This is likely. My D90 is defaulted to release priority when using AF-C. It's why I brought it up. I have taken plenty of shots that looked just like that when the moving subject I was shooting suddenly stopped. The D90 is notoriously bad at shooting still subjects with AF-C. Its auto focus us more easily fooled then say my D610. Just the nature of the beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobae

The D90 is notoriously bad at shooting still subjects with AF-C. Its auto focus us more easily fooled then say my D610. Just the nature of the beast.

Good to know. I had planned on using AF-C even for portraits because I've been in situations (particularly with kids) where they decided to move out of the focal plane at the last second.

WayneF

Good to know. I had planned on using AF-C even for portraits because I've been in situations (particularly with kids) where they decided to move out of the focal plane at the last second.

That can't help that case. Push the shutter, the kids move, but the shutter triggers before it finds focus. Your second shot was 0.13 seconds after the first, and it was in better focus, probably from where it finally found focus in the first one (after the shutter finished). Because the second was not given time to focus either.

Those times are Exif Capture date, but not sure that much movement could happen in 0.13 seconds? Might be affected by processing?

But if you are going to use AF-C, either depend on the second picture, or learn to hold half press a second to let if find focus first.

Whereas, if you used AF-S, you press shutter, the kids move, the lens finds focus, and then the shutter activates. Seems a better plan.

The disadvantage of AF-S (if we could imagine to call it a disadvantage) is that the shutter is delayed until it finds focus. However, this seems a big plus to me. :)

AF-S just focuses once, and then half press holds it regardless (but it does focus first).

The advantage of the AF-C default is that we can hold half press, and move the camera aim all over, at near things and far things, and the lens will go crazy trying to keep up with focus. Or the subject can move, same thing, the lens focus will try to follow (assuming we hold half press). But at the instant we choose to full press, the AF-C default is that the shutter will trigger immediately, regardless if it has found focus yet or not. But focus really does sort of matter. We might have more leeway at f/16 than at f/1.8 however.

Last edited: