Tripod Recommendations

videolife

Hello everyone,

Can you all please recommend a good tripod (less than $400 all in - i.e. tripod + head) for my D7100? I'll be using an 18-140mm lens and a 55-300mm lens.

Having searched the boards a bit, I came across certain posts that mentioned how the tripod needs to be able to carry the weight of a heavy "300mm lens" (amateur here, so I didn't know that) and so I'd like some advice in this area. These two pieces below were chosen solely because of what another member uses himself and wonder if they're good enough? Or are there "better" options for out there for the price?

Amazon.com : Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 055 Aluminium 3-Section Tripod with Horizontal Column (Black) : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head with Quick Release Replaces Manfrotto 486RC2 : Tripod Heads : Camera & Photo

I'll be using the camera indoors, to take photos of clothing for my business. I'm not sure if this matters, but I'd like to have the ability to use it outdoors as well.

If I'm forgetting to mention anything, please do ask and I'll respond as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Last edited:

videolife

Two more questions, actually:

1) Ball head vs pan head? Of the two, which (even if barely noticeable) will yield a more crisp result?

2) For my line of work, which is better / more convenient?

Last edited:

Daz

Its all about getting a tripod that will last, so if you end up taking it for long exposures in the future it will still work.

I have those legs and they are AWESOME !! Super sturdy

Personally I went for the head below, main reason is the control of adjustment, not only do I find the levers easier for fine adjustments but it has the friction screws to make it easier

Amazon.com : Manfrotto MHXPRO3W X-PRO 3-Way Head with Retractable Levers and Friction Controls with Two Replacement Quick Release Plates for the RC2 Rapid Connect Adapter : Camera & Photo

Horoscope Fish

Hello everyone,

Can you all please recommend a good tripod (less than $400 all in - i.e. tripod + head) for my D7100? I'll be using an 18-140mm lens and a 55-300mm lens.

Having searched the boards a bit, I came across certain posts that mentioned how the tripod needs to be able to carry the weight of a heavy "300mm lens" (amateur here, so I didn't know that) and so I'd like some advice in this area. These two pieces below were chosen solely because of what another member uses himself and wonder if they're good enough? Or are there "better" options for out there for the price?

Amazon.com : Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 055 Aluminium 3-Section Tripod with Horizontal Column (Black) : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head with Quick Release Replaces Manfrotto 486RC2 : Tripod Heads : Camera & Photo

I'll be using the camera indoors, to take photos of clothing for my business. I'm not sure if this matters, but I'd like to have the ability to use it outdoors as well.

If I'm forgetting to mention anything, please do ask and I'll respond as soon as possible.

Thank you.
You've chosen an excellent tripod. The ball head I'm personally not a fan of. The Manfrotto quick detach (QD) plates are very popular and chances are you'd be happy with the system, but I've seen it fail more than once. If you like that style of head, and for the same money give or take a few bucks, I'd suggest you get something like this Benro IN0 or IN1 (you'll have to select it once you're on Amazon's site, the link is being fussy).

Last edited:

videolife

Its all about getting a tripod that will last, so if you end up taking it for long exposures in the future it will still work.

I have those legs and they are AWESOME !! Super sturdy

Personally I went for the head below, main reason is the control of adjustment, not only do I find the levers easier for fine adjustments but it has the friction screws to make it easier

Amazon.com : Manfrotto MHXPRO3W X-PRO 3-Way Head with Retractable Levers and Friction Controls with Two Replacement Quick Release Plates for the RC2 Rapid Connect Adapter : Camera & Photo

Thanks, Daz. I'll definitely add it to the (currently empty) list of heads to buy. One thing, being a fan of silence, is that I think the clicker on the tension adjustments may take a toll on me after a while. Maybe not, I don't know, but I think my preference would be for something a bit more subtle.

You've chosen an excellent tripod. The ball head I'm personally not a fan of. The Manfrotto quick detach (QD) plates are very popular and chances are you'd be happy with the system, but I've seen it fail more than once. If you like that style of head, and for the same money give or take a few bucks, I'd suggest you get something like this Benro IN0 or IN1 (you'll have to select it once you're on Amazon's site, the link is being fussy).

You know what, neither am I. I didn't like it from the very beginning (aesthetically speaking), but figured if ball heads (especially that one) were the way to go, then I'd just have to accept that. I actually prefer (due to past conditioning, I suppose) the pan heads I've always used, so if you have any recommendations on that end, please do share them.

With regard to ball heads, I guess my approach was that if there were any objectively good reasons to switch, I would. But if it's a simple preference, I think (though perhaps I'll try to experiment in the future) I'll stick to what I'm use to. Again, unless there's a good reason not to and it's just that specific ball head that some of you may feel isn't up to par.

Thanks for the help, by the way.