RAW v Jpeg - View NX-D problem?

MAMF

I have recently got into taking RAW photos rather than JPEG. However the problem that I am finding is that when in Capture NX-D (I only shoot RAW B&W) I
first change the colour picture to monochrome (B&W) and then in EXPO-COMPO I will make the photo darker then convert the files to jpeg.

Once all this is done this is the result that I get.....

DSC_0897.jpg

The black to the top left of the picture come out discoloured.

This is what I get if I just shoot colour JPEG on the camera and again on the camera change it to MONO. Using IRFANVIEW software I will add my watermark to the image and everything is A-OK.

Raindrops.jpg

What am I doing wrong? I have been told that NX-D is poor. I do not have/use photoshop etc, just IRFANVIEW and NX-D.

Last edited:

MAMF

Cheers I will give it a go. I am not after the mutts nuts just something to do the basics with my B&W photos.

480sparky

GIMP will not do any raw format.

If you're doing a straight-up desaturation of a color image, that's about the worst way to convert an image, regardless of the app used. I'm not sure if NX-D has any other way of converting, but if it doesn't, I'd suggest saving the edit as a JPEG, then using another app to convert. There's a million ways to do b&w conversions, and each image should be converted with the method that works best for the subject and your intention for the final image.

Horoscope Fish

Cheers I will give it a go. I am not after the mutts nuts just something to do the basics with my B&W photos.
I have to agree with the suggestion to look into using Photoshop Elements. If you're going to shoot RAW, and get even semi-serious about processing photos, you're probably going to wind up using Adobe products eventually so you may as well start learning the lingo and, more importantly if you ask me, the common interface that drives most all Adobe digital editing software.

Elements will also give you an enormous amount of control over your black and white processing. It's not the, "mutts nuts" as you put it, but it will put you leaps and bounds ahead of where you are now with your B&W processing. As 480sparky points out, good B&W processing is much, MUCH more than simply desaturating a color image. Besides, Elements is cheap.