200-500 or 300 f4

cbay

Can't watch the video (bandwidth), but with all the post work that can be done with images these days i would definitely want to get some raws from members here that have the same setup and get some idea from that. Heard the 200-500 was good, but turning my head to it and pretending i got all i need. :rolleyes:

Moab Man

I have the Tamron 150-600 and the 300mm f/4 and here is my real world experience and thoughts. If I have good light, and can shoot my Tamron at f/7-11 then I use the Tamron. Between the quality of the lens and my editing tools/skills I can turn out spectacular images.

If I need to shoot at wide aperture, and or low light, then I go to my 300mm.

The Tamron does have more chromatic abberation, but it's quality and versatility outweighs the superior optics of my 300mm in many day-to-day situations.

I agree with everything said in the video, just swap out the Tamron for the Nikon.

Blacktop

I've been doing research on this very thing for months now. I cant watch the video I'm on my phone now.
The 300 is much sharper being a prime. however it's short focal lenght will make it necessary to use a TC 1.4 which will make it a 420mm 5.6 lens.

Reading, looking researching about the IQ and the quick focusing of the Nikon 200-500mm lens, for me it's a no brainer now. Especially for my D750. If the resale value of the D7100 wasn't so low, I would have already sold it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mikew_RIP

I have the Tamron 150-600 and the 300mm f/4 and here is my real world experience and thoughts. If I have good light, and can shoot my Tamron at f/7-11 then I use the Tamron. Between the quality of the lens and my editing tools/skills I can turn out spectacular images.

If I need to shoot at wide aperture, and or low light, then I go to my 300mm.

The Tamron does have more chromatic abberation, but it's quality and versatility outweighs the superior optics of my 300mm in many day-to-day situations.

I agree with everything said in the video, just swap out the Tamron for the Nikon.

A guys tests on another forum who has the Tamron 150-600 and the Nikon 200-500 claims there is no difference in IQ at 500mm,no idea if he is right but i do know for me the Nikon is too big and heavy,i only have small hands and they fit the Tamron zoom ring perfectly.

Blacktop

A guys tests on another forum who has the Tamron 150-600 and the Nikon 200-500 claims there is no difference in IQ at 500mm,no idea if he is right but i do know for me the Nikon is too big and heavy,i only have small hands and they fit the Tamron zoom ring perfectly.

Everything I read and see says otherwise. As soon as I get my last quarter bonus in a week I'm ordering the 200-500.

Ad B

Hi,

several months back, I could play with the 300 F4 lens and the 200-500 in a zoo.
I also used my Sigma 150-600 C that afternoon.
I used my Kenko 1.4 extender with the Nikon lenses.
It was a wonderful, instructive afternoon.
But my Sigma stays...

The Nikon 300 F4 + 1.4 extender was not convincing enough.
The both zoom lenses are much more practical.
The pics taken with the 200-500 (also several + the 1.4 extender) were not better as with my Sigma.
So I will not bother to make any change.

Ad B

J-see

I have the new 300mm f/4 and the Tam 150-600mm and the Tam only collects dust.

It's for everyone different but for me personally, considering the light levels, the practicality and speed of focus, the new 300mm outperforms the Tam.

She does require more legwork.