Two new 18-55s

Blacktop

The only difference i think i can see is one has VR, but its early here:D

Why is this better/different than the newest version that came with the D3300?
Seriously. If you are going to introduce new DX lenses, they would have done better with either a UWA prime or maybe even a 17-50 F/2.8 or something like that.
I just don't know what makes them think that this will sell, unless they are coming out with a new DX camera and going to make this a kit lens for it.
Maybe a D3400 or something. I don't think that they would dare consider bundling the new D400 with this. (if there is a new D400)

mikew_RIP

Why is this better/different than the newest version that came with the D3300?
Seriously. If you are going to introduce new DX lenses, they would have done better with either a UWA prime or maybe even a 17-50 F/2.8 or something like that.
I just don't know what makes them think that this will sell, unless they are coming out with a new DX camera and going to make this a kit lens for it.
Maybe a D3400 or something. I don't think that they would dare consider bundling the new D400 with this. (if there is a new D400)

If there is one think Nikon are the best at its being out of touch with reality and what there customers want,it was ok in the film days when no one produced new lenses and cameras all the time but now things move very quickly and Nikon still think an update will make it new.

RocketCowboy

"AF-P"??

I don't remember the 18-55mm to be particularly slow or loud when it comes to AF, so this is probably proving out functionality on a lens that will have little impact on sales before they roll it into something bigger. Just my guess though.

D200freak

The differences between these and the most recent 18-55s is that they now use a stepper motor for focusing instead of the silent wave motor. This saves space (the SWM being a ring motor, it fits around the inner barrels and the outer barrels must cover it, requiring a certain amount of space) and may have other technical advantage over the SWM. One I can think of is that occasionally an SWM motor will squeal loudly. I expect the stepper motor to be quieter.

I've seen this new lens and it is VERY compact. Really good for travel purposes, and I'm going to bet that the optics are at least as good as the last generation.

I will probably buy one of these lenses. It seems like it's too handy at its size NOT to have it in your DX camera bag.

Now let's see how long it takes for them to release an FX equivalent. AF-P 24-80mm, F/2.8. Yes, please.