Best camera for hiking

rkat

I'm looking for suggestions: what is the best camera for hiking? I have in mind small and lightweight but something that offers full control over exposure, raw capture, and decent zoom lens. At least 10 megapixels but more is better. I've been looking at the Canon G12 but would prefer to stick with Nikon.

rkat

Hi Rick,
I'm not sure but expect I can get what I want in a point and shoot. No objection to another DSLR and have considered a D5100. It's just a little heavier than what I'm hoping to find.

Rick M

I have the D3100, only slightly smaller/lighter than the D5100. Obviously a PS is great size wise, but keep in mind sensor size (not just the # of pixels only) for enlargements. When I get that "shot of a lifetime", I'm gonna want to enlarge it and would be dissapointed if I captured it on the miniature sensor of a P&S.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
but something that offers full control over exposure, raw capture, and decent zoom lens. At least 10 megapixels but more is better. I've been looking at the Canon G12 but would prefer to stick with Nikon.

This requirement rather limits your choice. I went on a cycling trip last year and carried a D90 with 18-200 and was glad I did. I know that point and shoot are lighter by a lot, but for control, they are limits to their capabilities.
A 3100 or 5100 would probably be the lightest you could get in a DSLR. The G12 seems to have great IQ, but the zoom is limited to 5 I think.

Let us know of your final choice and results.

rkat

Thanks for the comments guys. You did help get me focused and I'm now leaning toward the D5100. Everything is a trade off and if I want the features I'll just have to live with the weight.