What is this and why is it happening?

Smoke

I took a long exposure a while back at an amusement park. As I'm looking at the photo, I am noticing this metal frame. Is this inside my camera? Or lens? What is it and why is it there? I have taken long exposures before and since then and did not see it.

DSC_2687.jpg

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Just a wild guess, but it looks to me like it is some metal structure that reflected off of something or even something that you did not realize was in the shot. It may have been something that was just out of your viewfinder view, but still in the photo.

Remember, this is just a wild guess. Ha!

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Possibly light coming in from the viewfinder. You should always cover the viewfinder when doing long exposures especially when there are lots of bright lights behind you.

Should You Cover Your Viewfinder During Long Exposures? | Photograph IO

You might get away with not doing it most of the time but when you have lots of bright lights like at the fair you really need to cover it

That was my first thought also, but it, to me, looks too much like a "channel" iron structure. I guess it could have been a reflection of a structure coming in through the viewfinder. I would love to see the area where it was taken. Ha!

Smoke

Thanks for all of the replies and the link to the article, I really didnt pay attention to the structures behind me so I will always use a cover for the view finder from now on.

Smoke

Maybe if there is ever a "Long exposure of a carosoul, with a steel girder that comes through viewfinder" photo contest, I will enter this one :)