Noise in 1.3X Crop

JayD

Generally speaking, larger sized sensors have better ISO performance than smaller sensors. So, I was wondering how my D7200 would perform in low light in the 1.3X crop mode when compared to using the full APS-C sensor under similar circumstances.

pforsell

Well, if you compare two scenarios:
a) using a 1.3x longer lens with no need to crop and hence using the whole sensor, versus
b) using a shorter lens and using 1.3x crop mode, then

the cropped image needs to be enlarged more and that brings out the noise. Also the cropped sensor received less light, and the amount of light is what determines noise.

In the end you'll end up with about 3/4 stop more noise with the crop.

The math is: log(1.3 x 1.3) / log(2) = 0.757 stops, or about 3/4 stops more noise.

And you have the camera, hence no need to rely on armchair ponderings. Go out with a zoom lens and see for yourself.

Blacktop

Generally speaking, larger sized sensors have better ISO performance than smaller sensors. So, I was wondering how my D7200 would perform in low light in the 1.3X crop mode when compared to using the full APS-C sensor under similar circumstances.

It will perform exactly the same. Noise level does not increase just because you are in crop mode. The only difference is, that noise will be more visible in crop mode.