No images in preview after renaming images

bram2w

I have a Nikon D610 and i have a problem with previewing my photos when the filename has changed. After taking some photos i put the SD Card in my computer then i change the filename to a unique name for example "5683f191test_0001.jpg". It is very important that i change this filename for my company. When i am done renaming the files i put the SD Card back in my camera and when i click on the preview button i get the message "Directory does not contain images". After some testing i found out that it only shows images with a format like 000_0001. Is there a setting i can change on my camera so that i still can see the images that are on the card?

All help is really appreciated. Thanks!

RocketCowboy

I think you're finding that the camera is more limited than your computer in how/what images it decides it can preview for you.

I can get the same result by taking the SD card out of the D5300 and inserting it into the D7100. I have both cameras set a little different ... rather than naming images DSC_0000.xxx, I have the D5300 naming images as D53_0000.xxx and the D7100 names them D7K_0000.xxx. Consequently, when I put the D5300's SD card into the D7100, the D7100 does not find any images named D7K_0000.xxx and so nothing can be displayed.

My suggestions ... you can change the settings on your camera to alter the prefix given to your images. I don't believe the camera will use file names longer than 8 characters, so that limits you some. If adding your company name is important, I would do us using the embedded copyright stamp in the camera versus filenames ... since filenames are easily changed. Once images are pulled to the computer, why not view them there instead of moving them back to the camera for viewing?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The jpegs won't display after they are either renamed or tweaked (contrast, saturation or whatever).

To solve your problem, the only solution is to:

Copy the files from the card to the computer in a file.
Remove the SD card from the computer.
Rename the files that you have copied.

In other words, if you don't modify the original files on the SD card, you will be able to see them. When they get modified, the camera doesn't recognize the files.

Or, in the case of the 610, if you only work in jpegs, you could have the second card as a backup and change the second card's files only. The camera would then be able to read the card #1 images.

Hope this helps.