Mefoto roadtrip tripod and shutter release

paul48603

I am thinking of getting this for my d7100. Can anyone think of reasons not to get this tripod? I also need recommendations for a shutter release for this camera. Thanks....

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I don't own one, but there are a few on here who own or have owned that tripod. It seems to get favorable reviews from most. As to the shutter release, I have the Nikon wireless ML-13 (or what ever the number is). I got it for my D5300 and it is fairly inexpensive (3rd party are good too for the most part). It worked OK for what I have needed it to do. I haven't tried it on the D7100, but I have no reason to believe that it not work as well as it did with the D5300.

Daz

As Cwgrizz has said that the reviews of the roadtrip looks positive, however I would strongly suggest going to a store and trying to play with it and put your camera on it.

You want to make sure there is no wobble of the camera at the height you will be operating it as (I used to use a Vanguard Espod on my D3300 when I had it and it was fine for that camera) but then with an upgrade it was unusable ...

Being you have a D7100 I cant see that you will upgrade the body anytime soon but think about the weight of some of the lenses you will use with it and the weight that comes with it.

I recently (last week) had a topic on Tripods and what to go for and Horoscope Fish was very helpful in there ( http://nikonites.com/other-photography-equipment/34285-help-new-tripod-purchase.html#axzz3ve88b32p )

What I think I am getting at is Buy the best one you can get :)

Horoscope Fish

I am thinking of getting this for my d7100. Can anyone think of reasons not to get this tripod?
I've had issues with small, compact tripods like the MeFoto when doing long exposure shots like this 3 second exposure of the San Diego waterfront I recently did. I like the Roadtrip, and other tripods like it, but it wouldn't work for me as my only tripod. It just depends on what you plan on using it for. To get a clear shot of the waterfront that night, I had to retrieve my much larger, heavier Manfrotto 055XPROB.

I also need recommendations for a shutter release for this camera.
If all you want/need is a basic shutter release you can spend $10 for this knockoff version or you can spend $25 for the Nikon branded version. If you want Mack Daddy of shutter controllers, look up the Vello Shutterboss Wireless.

SteveL54

I use the MeFoto Roadtrip with my D7100. Never had any issues with it. Sturdy and well built. No issues with the camera weight.
Also using the Nikon wireless remote. Changing the battery can be a pain, but it works as expected.
Used the both of them to take these photos.

23671889281_c412cde0b3_b.jpg

20229669712_b11de31598_b.jpg

20002829649_5d2f5a28b2_b.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I use the MeFoto Roadtrip with my D7100. Never had any issues with it. Sturdy and well built. No issues with the camera weight.
Also using the Nikon wireless remote. Changing the battery can be a pain, but it works as expected.
Used the both of them to take these photos.

23671889281_c412cde0b3_b.jpg

Was the train moving very fast? Where I am, those inside tracks are only used for trains that stop at the station. Nice image! :)

SteveL54

Was the train moving very fast? Where I am, those inside tracks are only used for trains that stop at the station. Nice image! :)

It's at the train museum in my town. (Railroad Museum of New England) It was the Northern Lights Express pulling away from the station, not moving fast at all. 20 sec exposure.

The tracks next to the station are not used at all, and I believe they end just past where I was standing.

RocketCowboy

I've had the MeFoto RoadTrip and still have the GlobeTrotter. The RoadTrip I bought on Amazon after I left the GlobeTrotter at home on a trip accidentally. Both have been great tripods and worked well with my D7100. I do tend to hang my camera backpack underneath the MeFoto to help stabilize it, but haven't had any problems even when not doing that. I've used that same tripod for several long exposure (> 3 second) night time cityscape images and have been happy with it.

For the shutter release, I have the ML-3, but also prefer the Nikon cable release. The ML-3 works pretty well, but I've also had angles where I couldn't get it to fire. I tend to go to the wired release first, and only use wireless when the situation doesn't allow me to easily use the wired release.

BackdoorArts

I've had issues with small, compact tripods like the MeFoto when doing long exposure shots like this 3 second exposure of the San Diego waterfront I recently did. I like the Roadtrip, and other tripods like it, but it wouldn't work for me as my only tripod. It just depends on what you plan on using it for. To get a clear shot of the waterfront that night, I had to retrieve my much larger, heavier Manfrotto 055XPROB.

Love my MeFOTO Roadtrip and I'll echo Paul's comments about both the need for a bigger, sturdier tripod (I have the same pairing) particularly in windier or move vibration prone conditions. That said, in a pinch when the Roadtrip is all you have and you need to do long exposures then just make sure you hang some weight from the center hook. The thinner leg segments are solid, but will adapt to any bounce available and the weight will help settle it. The other option is to put a ring on a strap long enough to reach the ground and pull it tight under something heavy or, if you're not fidgety, your foot. This will help reduce tripod movement.