D7000 & Playback format & strange incident

Camera Fun

When shooting RAW on my D7000, and viewing the playback, the image is a jpeg version, Correct?
Just confirming because I have taken a few shots lately with the camera on incandescent which resulted in the entire playback image being blue (so much that it appeared like I had a blue filter on) even though the lighting was incandescent. In comparison the auto white balance appeared normal in playback. Also, if I looked at the raw file in view nx2 and selected incandescent there, the strong blue appeared again.
The blue was so pronounced that I checked through some camera settings; only change I made was to move Contrast from +1 to 0 for impacting jpeg. I tried some more test shots comparing auto white balance with incandescent for playback purposes but this time the incandescent did not have the blue issue and was very similar to the auto.
Lighting source has been the same interior lights in the house. Lens is my new Tamron 24-70.
Any thoughts on the strong blue issue?

skater

First, correct - the display is a JPG that uses whatever white balance was set. The NEF stores the WB info, but it's much easier to change it after the fact.

Sounds to me like the incandescent light bulbs you are using are a different temperature than what the camera expects for an incandescent setting, but the auto mode got it right. Are you sure they're actually traditional tungsten incandescent bulbs?

By the way, the auto mode usually does get it right - it's pretty good. And if you're shooting raw, it's not a big deal to change it later even if auto is wrong.

Camera Fun

Thanks for the reply. One reason I went to raw a while back was the advantage of correcting things later; which has saved a number of photos for me. Your comment about the bulb temperature got me to thinking. The bulbs are incandescent but they are a daylight type of bulb; which would be different than the traditional incandescent. Hence the result of a very pronounced blue if the wb was set on incandescent.