Returning refurbished D7100

RON_RIP

I have packed up my refurbished D7100 for return to Adorama due to AF problems and exposure problems. Luckily, no one has purchased my D7000 so I will dust it off and put it back in service, after i apologize to it for throwing it over for a newer model. Try that out with the spouse and see where it gets you.
As usual, Adorama was stellar in their response to me and have agreed to take it back without a hassle. It is no wonder I continue to purchase all my major photography items through them. Since my D7000 is so gently used I will keep it in service until I can afford full frame camera, probably the D750. I will now be reluctant to purchase any new camera body until i can travel to a city with a full service Nikon dealer and actually inspect the camera for myself.

Whiskeyman

I will now be reluctant to purchase any new camera body until i can travel to a city with a full service Nikon dealer and actually inspect the camera for myself.

Were it me, I'd still buy a camera from Adorama (or B&H). After all, they are taking the camera back. I know of some brick and mortar camera shops who are much less likely to cheerfully let you return an item.

I won't say never, but I don't ever see me purchasing another refurbished camera body. Like you, I have never been really pleased with the refurbished D7100 I purchased from Adorama. Unfortunately, I didn't check the camera carefully until after the return and warranty periods were expired, so I didn't send it back. I'm still hoping that I'll learn more about it and, in the process, discover that the camera was good and the user was the problem.

WM

RON_RIP

Were it me, I'd still buy a camera from Adorama (or B&H). After all, they are taking the camera back. I know of some brick and mortar camera shops who are much less likely to cheerfully let you return an item.

I won't say never, but I don't ever see me purchasing another refurbished camera body. Like you, I have never been really pleased with the refurbished D7100 I purchased from Adorama. Unfortunately, I didn't check the camera carefully until after the return and warranty periods were expired, so I didn't send it back. I'm still hoping that I'll learn more about it and, in the process, discover that the camera was good and the user was the problem.

WM
Good luck to you on that. I am just getting mine back barely under the wire. Did not feature having to struggle with it as you will have to do. When it was on, it was right on, but just had too many times that it misbehaved to trust it. I have had good luck with used and refurbished lenses but only mixed results with refurbished bodies. My next body, if there is one, will be new, as was my D7000, which has never given me a problem.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I'm sorry that you had that experience with your D7100 refurb. So far so good on mine. I have pretty much been using it exclusively as my walk around set up. It has been the home for my 70-300 VR lens. It has not had another lens on it yet. I have been keeping the 18-55 on the D5300. So far that is working for me. <Knocking on wood> You have the D7000 which is working for you and you got your money back, so it looks like the damage is very limited. Ha!

Bill16

Sorry to hear about the D7100 having to be returned Ron buddy. I had a refurbished D7100 for a short time before selling it back to Blacktop, and though I didn't really like that camera, I can't say I noticed any issues with it! Lol ;)
But if you want to go full frame anyway, then getting the D7100 returned seems like the best idea anyway! :)
Since I've bought most of my Nikon bodies used, and never actually bought a refurb from a dealer, I can't really say much about that! But all my Nikons were purchased on line and they have been great, so buying on line isn't a bad thing and often it is where you get the best deals too!:)
But either way I hope you'll love your next upgrade buddy! :)

RON_RIP

I'm sorry that you had that experience with your D7100 refurb. So far so good on mine. I have pretty much been using it exclusively as my walk around set up. It has been the home for my 70-300 VR lens. It has not had another lens on it yet. I have been keeping the 18-55 on the D5300. So far that is working for me. <Knocking on wood> You have the D7000 which is working for you and you got your money back, so it looks like the damage is very limited. Ha!
Yes, no harm, no foul. I attribute that to working with a reputable retailer.

Blacktop

I have packed up my refurbished D7100 for return to Adorama due to AF problems and exposure problems. Luckily, no one has purchased my D7000 so I will dust it off and put it back in service, after i apologize to it for throwing it over for a newer model. Try that out with the spouse and see where it gets you.
As usual, Adorama was stellar in their response to me and have agreed to take it back without a hassle. It is no wonder I continue to purchase all my major photography items through them. Since my D7000 is so gently used I will keep it in service until I can afford full frame camera, probably the D750. I will now be reluctant to purchase any new camera body until i can travel to a city with a full service Nikon dealer and actually inspect the camera for myself.

Is there a thread somewhere about the problems you had with this camera? If not, what exactly was the trouble?

Danno

I am really sorry to hear that you have had trouble with your 7100. I bought my referbished 7200 from Nikon... have to admit I swallowed hard when I read your post. I have to say so far I am very pleased with mine but I will be more thorough as I learn how to use it and focusing on the details.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

RON_RIP

Is there a thread somewhere about the problems you had with this camera? If not, what exactly was the trouble?
No thread. The autofocus was spotty. One time it would work, the next time, not . In manual, the meter would suddenly quit responding to the command dials and exposures were to dark for the settings. I do not feel that I was getting better resolution with it than I now get with my D7000.

mikew_RIP

A blessing in disguise maybe,the D7100 i wouldn't have thought offered any real improvement for your type of photography over the D7000,whilst its a great camera its two main benefits are a bit more croppability and a stop more on the ISO,neither of these are needed in your type of shots.
It was the same for me with the 750,i would never knock how great a camera it is but DX works better for me most of the time,i still would like FX but as it would not be my main camera i only want about a third of the monetary value tied up in it,so a D700 is the most likley.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Very sorry to hear this. Did you check to see how many actuations were on the camera when you first got it? Obviously something was seriously wrong with it. I bought my refurbished D7100 through Nikon when they offered a $100 off sale. It had 39 actuations on it, and currently it has 2697. No problems with it so far. Most likely mine was a body someone bought then changed their mind about owning. But there are refurbished bodies that may have been dropped or experienced electrical problems. So yes, it is a gamble buying anything refurbished no matter whether it is a body, lens, or flash.

Glad Adorama didn't give you a problem!

EDIT: As I sat here writing this post, an email came in from Nikon that they are having a 10% off sale on reburbished products! Lol!

RON_RIP

Very sorry to hear this. Did you check to see how many actuations were on the camera when you first got it? Obviously something was seriously wrong with it. I bought my refurbished D7100 through Nikon when they offered a $100 off sale. It had 39 actuations on it, and currently it has 2697. No problems with it so far. Most likely mine was a body someone bought then changed their mind about owning. But there are refurbished bodies that may have been dropped or experienced electrical problems. So yes, it is a gamble buying anything refurbished no matter whether it is a body, lens, or flash.

Glad Adorama didn't give you a problem!

EDIT: As I sat here writing this post, an email came in from Nikon that they are having a 10% off sale on reburbished products! Lol!
It had a 2850 shutter count, I think it might have been a returned unit that just got a cursory going over. At any rate, I agree with @mikew that it is not enough improvement over my D7000 given the types of photography I do, so live and learn. Of course I lust after a DF but that ain't happening unless I win a lottery.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
It had a 2850 shutter count, I think it might have been a returned unit that just got a cursory going over. At any rate, I agree with @mikew that it is not enough improvement over my D7000 given the types of photography I do, so live and learn. Of course I lust after a DF but that ain't happening unless I win a lottery.

In your initial post, you mentioned a D750. It's a great camera, but since you want to buy new, the price will be quite high. I was one of the people affected by the D600 oil spot problem. Nikon refunded me the money and I bought a D610. It is fantastic! The sensor is definitely superior to the D7100, and even new, the price is excellent for full-frame. Although I have the D750, I still use my D610 (and D7100).

RON_RIP

In your initial post, you mentioned a D750. It's a great camera, but since you want to buy new, the price will be quite high. I was one of the people affected by the D600 oil spot problem. Nikon refunded me the money and I bought a D610. It is fantastic! The sensor is definitely superior to the D7100, and even new, the price is excellent for full-frame. Although I have the D750, I still use my D610 (and D7100).
How similar are the controls on a D610 to the controls on a D7100? I really like the way the 7000 series cameras are set up, especially the 2 command dials.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
How similar are the controls on a D610 to the controls on a D7100? I really like the way the 7000 series cameras are set up, especially the 2 command dials.

The command and subcommand dials work similarly, but the buttons on the back (left side) of the bodies are in different locations. Here is a screen shot of those buttons (D610). When comparing a D750 and D7100, those buttons are in the same order. One night while photographing the drama students, I went to change my ISO on the D7100. Mistakenly I hit the wrong button because I was used to the order of the buttons on the D610. It was pitch black so I simply felt for the ISO button. When I saw the ISO hadn't changed, I didn't know what accidental changes I made. Turns out I switched from RAW+jpeg Fine to something I didn't want. I made do though and learned my lesson. ;)

D610 back.jpg