Nikon D7100: Can the "i" menu be customized?

Jr_Explorer

Between my gf and I we have three D70 bodies, lenses and about eight SB-800's (just a bit of "Strobist" influence!). I've been looking to upgrade for years but these darn cameras are expensive! LOL! Well... I got a GREAT deal on a factory refurbished D7100 during the cyber Monday sales this year.

The way I shoot I am constantly going in and changing the built in flash from "TTL" to "Commander Mode" to "Manual". Is there any way to customize what is in the "i" menu so I can dump one of the features I would rarely use and create a direct path to the flash configuration menu?

If not how do we tell Nikon they need to add that to the next firmware update?!?

Thanks for the help.

Horoscope Fish

... Is there any way to customize what is in the "i" menu so I can dump one of the features I would rarely use and create a direct path to the flash configuration menu?
In short... No, you can't. You can customize the "My Menu" menu, though... I think that's about as close as you're going to get.

If not how do we tell Nikon they need to add that to the next firmware update?!?
I'd tell you not to waste your time but if you want to plead your case, contact Nikon Support and go for it.

I never used the Commander system over twice and did not like it at all. Ended up getting the Yongnuo Trigger system. I gives you much better control and functions better. The commander relies on line of sight if I am not mistaken and has some limitations on distance the the radio triggers do not have.

Jr_Explorer

I never used the Commander system over twice and did not like it at all. Ended up getting the Yongnuo Trigger system. I gives you much better control and functions better. The commander relies on line of sight if I am not mistaken and has some limitations on distance the the radio triggers do not have.

As with many things there are a zillion ways to tackle a problem. I have the Alien Bees triggers and a couple of Pocket Wizards.

The built in flash in Commander Mode allows me to have a flash with a light modifier (small soft box) in one hand and the camera in the other and get some well lit, off-camera-flash shots on the fly.

We have also used it to control a flash/shoot through umbrella on the end of a boom (extendable paint roller handle) to get great "table shots" of guests at weddings. With the TTL control this is a very fast, flexible part of our wedding shooting.

WayneF

The way I shoot I am constantly going in and changing the built in flash from "TTL" to "Commander Mode" to "Manual". Is there any way to customize what is in the "i" menu so I can dump one of the features I would rarely use and create a direct path to the flash configuration menu?

Probably you meant using the internal flash, but if assuming you are using the eight SB-800s (why not? :) ), then (other than using Commander), it does not matter what the camera flash menu says when the internal door is shut. You can just leave it always in Commander, and then open the door to use it that way. A hot shoe SB-800 is not affected by the camera flash menu... it uses its own menu.