Windows photo viewer

cbay

I edit and enjoy my photos then export as jpeg and view in windows photo viewer and am always disappointed. Always a noticeable difference in sharpness. Nothing i seem to be able to do about it. Do you use windows photo viewer or figure out how to make them look like they do in Lr using windows? There has got to be an answer to this delimma. Different viewer?

Horoscope Fish

I edit and enjoy my photos then export as jpeg and view in windows photo viewer and am always disappointed. Always a noticeable difference in sharpness. Nothing i seem to be able to do about it. Do you use windows photo viewer or figure out how to make them look like they do in Lr using windows? There has got to be an answer to this delimma. Different viewer?
When I'm not using Adobe Bridge for this, I'm using IRFanview.

Don Kondra

Hi Chris, you made me go look :)

For posting on line I usually do a resize, etc in FastStone Image Viewer and that is where I judge the sharpness.

Comparing that final image in FastStone to Windows Photo Viewer there is no doubt there is a loss in sharpness.

AND, the Windows Photo Viewer image is pretty near identical to what the image looks like when uploaded/viewed on Photobucket.

Long story, short. It is what it is :)

Critical analysis is best done viewing in the editing program.

Cheers, Don

cbay

When I'm not using Adobe Bridge for this, I'm using IRFanview.
Thanks for the link. :)

Hi Chris, you made me go look :)

For posting on line I usually do a resize, etc in FastStone Image Viewer and that is where I judge the sharpness.

Comparing that final image in FastStone to Windows Photo Viewer there is no doubt there is a loss in sharpness.

AND, the Windows Photo Viewer image is pretty near identical to what the image looks like when uploaded/viewed on Photobucket.

Long story, short. It is what it is :)

Critical analysis is best done viewing in the editing program.

Cheers, Don
Thanks for checking Don. Good to know it's not my imagination. :)

Don Kondra

I think it does. You can export from LR with a certain amount of sharpening applied, amongst other things like color space and such.

Okay, as I understand it, you do your processing in LR with whatever changes applied, then export the file to a folder.

Then view that file in Windows Photo Viewer.

It will not appear as "sharp" as it does when viewed in LR.

Cheers, Don

Don Kondra

Blacktop beat me to it but yes it has everything to do with how the exported file will look. There are so many options on exporting from size to compression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously I do not agree.

Once you have processed the image in LR and saved it, it will not appear as "sharp" when viewed in Windows Photo Viewer.

Cheers, Don

Blacktop

Okay, as I understand it, you do your processing in LR with whatever changes applied, then export the file to a folder.

Then view that file in Windows Photo Viewer.

It will not appear as "sharp" as it does when viewed in LR.

Cheers, Don

Yes this seems to be the OPs problem. This is why I'm suggesting adding "sharpening for screen" at export.

Untitled.jpg

cbay

Even though there is no doubt room for improvement on my part with export procedure, there does seem (to me), to be a difference in sharpness with windows photo viewer vs. other viewers. I downloaded the two suggested viewers last night and am really impressed with faststone. I think it's a keeper. :)
I still don't have a solid procedure from export on. I want my images to look their best for my viewing, but also want them to look good for sharing but have yet to come up with a solution for the later. It seems to vary with different sites. I've been compromising and settling on one setting for sharpness and size when finished in Lr for everything and that leaves room for improvement. File size, disk space and redundant images have kept me from doing something separate for web vs. personal viewing. So far i haven't found a happy medium,,,,,yet.