Refurbished--REALLY NEW D7100

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I have mixed emotions! First, I am mad because UPS had the nerve to place my camera inside my barbed wire cattle fence when I had given them a notice I would be on vacation for a couple of days. They weren't supposed to deliver it until Monday, but left it on my place this past Thursday. Luckily, after I got the notice that it HAD BEEN DELIVERED last Thursday, I was able to get a neighbor to go down and check to see if it was laying around on Friday. They found it just inside the fence. I guess I am fortunate to live out where there is not much traffic and what traffic there was didn't find interest in the package.

For the good part. I now have the camera and got new SDHC cards (32GB, 90MBs, Samsung) to try out the camera. I made some changes to the settings of the camera, but still have a lot of things to change to my liking. Ha! Anyway the real good news is that after taking the one shutter count picture, I have a camera with a shutter actuation of TWO shutter counts.

shuttercount-D7100.PNG

Oh, and I got it for $479 because I used Ebay and Paypal which had a promotion for $10 off. WooHoo! A happy camper here!!

Now if I can only learn how to compose and take good pictures. This camera has so many buttons, settings, ... an old guy like me ... well you probably know. :rolleyes:

Needa

Challenge Team
Congratulation on the new camera. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. All those buttons make it easier not harder imo.

ryans1230

Slight learning curve, but not too bad. There are some videos on YouTube that will make it easier. Actually, nearly all the buttons and dials are dedicated, meaning you won't have to push a button to change a setting.

Congrats man, mine was 51!

singlerosa_RIP

Sweet! I've bought 2 refurb bodies and they both came with less than 50 clicks. I love Nikon refurb, especially when they run 10% (or 11%) off. Make sure you're on their email list (by registering your gear).

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Yep, the learning curve will be there for sure. I like being able to use the dials, etc to do things that I had to go through menus to accomplish with the D5300. It is mostly just learning what each button, dial and combination of the two changes. Ha!

I do have a question. I continue to get a display of how many shots are left on the SD card in the Control Panel screen even when the camera is Off. Is this normal? The only way to get it to quit displaying is to remove the battery. I feel it is probably normal, because with out an SD card in the slots it shows -E- when the battery is in the camera. I looked to see about this and found the manual saying that it would do that. How much that drains the battery over time is probably nil, but it just surprises me that it will not shut off.

ryans1230

Yep, the learning curve will be there for sure. I like being able to use the dials, etc to do things that I had to go through menus to accomplish with the D5300. It is mostly just learning what each button, dial and combination of the two changes. Ha!

I do have a question. I continue to get a display of how many shots are left on the SD card in the Control Panel screen even when the camera is Off. Is this normal? The only way to get it to quit displaying is to remove the battery. I feel it is probably normal, because with out an SD card in the slots it shows -E- when the battery is in the camera. I looked to see about this and found the manual saying that it would do that. How much that drains the battery over time is probably nil, but it just surprises me that it will not shut off.
It is normal. A decent feature but a bit annoying at times

mikew_RIP

Congratulations,i have said that i believe sometimes this refurb thing is a lie,its just used so nikon can shift over stock at low prices and not upset there dealers,

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Congratulations,i have said that i believe sometimes this refurb thing is a lie,its just used so nikon can shift over stock at low prices and not upset there dealers,
Well, I will take it. Ha! The box, etc. was not like a new camera would come in, but the box is not important. LOL

mikew_RIP

It just seems odd to me that a couple of hundred refurb D7100 should should come on to the market at any time,i know we are not all encompassing as a forum but how many have had theres exchanged on this forum,i suppose things like the distance selling regs mean a lot can return cameras with no fault.

salukfan111

It just seems odd to me that a couple of hundred refurb D7100 should should come on to the market at any time,i know we are not all encompassing as a forum but how many have had theres exchanged on this forum,i suppose things like the distance selling regs mean a lot can return cameras with no fault.
They probably had a stockpile of these they haven't rolled back into circulation. I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon didn't have a warehouse somewhere with 1000s of D700s, 7000s, 7100, D3x, 20-35, 35-70, 28-85, 105 ais, 135 ais, 200 f/4, 300 f/4.5, 300 f/2.8, 400 f/3.5, etc etc etc to keep them off the market to not undercut the sales of the current new stuff. Maybe they see and opportunities to sell D7100s without it hurting their core business or pissing off the dealers.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Just because you asked, @Needa. Here are some photos that I took to see how the settings work on my new D7100. Nothing special, just some examples.

landscape_15-12-06_cr_d7100_0040.jpg
field_15-12-06_cr_d7100_0015.jpg

sandhill-crane_cr_15-12-06.jpg
crow_15-12-06_cr.jpg

vermilion-flycatcher_15-12-06_cr_d7100.jpg
owl_15-12-06_cr_d7100.jpg

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Ya @mikew, I noticed that. Ha! The Owl photo was a tough one. It was almost O-dark Thirty and took some doing to get it "fixed" so it could be seen.