Taking Equipment (bodies & lenses) Out Into the Cold

RobV

It is finally cold here in Indiana, and I am wondering about condensation when taking lenses from the house to the outside.

I originally was thinking about lenses, but I would imagine camera bodies could also suffer.

Advice?

Shadow83

From what I've learned it's not going into the cold that's the problem it going into the warm house. To help with condensation you have to slow the rate that you gear warms up. Keeping it in your camera bag for a while inside the house helps.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RobV

Thanks everyone. I guess I had my condensation "math" backwards!

I saw one of those dehumidifier boxes (Dry-Cabinet) for the first time on here. Just when I thought I had all of my income allocated...

rocketman122

this reminds me of the first time I took my F5 to canada for a trip and shot with it outside. around 2002. the camera showed err after every click. I needed to turn it on and off. I thought it was defective. it was just the cold. I put it in a ziploc bag before going in. canada is just an amazing country

my N90s and N8008s never had issues when I used those. but id never take out my gear in bad weather today. no way in hell. not the beach, not the rain not the extreme cold. Ill just use my cell phone if I need to.

RobV

I was mostly thinking of lunar photography. We all know that the winter skies are generally clearer, and the fact that I get off work at 0430 gives me a few hours of dark temptation. :)

Kevin H

this reminds me of the first time I took my F5 to canada for a trip and shot with it outside. around 2002. the camera showed err after every click. I needed to turn it on and off. I thought it was defective. it was just the cold. I put it in a ziploc bag before going in. canada is just an amazing country

my N90s and N8008s never had issues when I used those. but id never take out my gear in bad weather today. no way in hell. not the beach, not the rain not the extreme cold. Ill just use my cell phone if I need to.
I take mine out in -20 no problems :D

Just leave camera and lense in bag for 1/2 hour or so when you get home :D

Daz

Why so? the worst that will happen is you need to clean the sensor, I do a lot of Grasstrack photography and I frequently get caught in clouds of dust with the camera in hand ... I dont see the point in having a nice camera if you are afraid to use it ...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I took my D610 out to photograph the ice jams on the Delaware River when the camera was only a couple of months old. It worked fine for a while. Then the LCD stopped displaying the image on the back. The top and inside displays continued to work normally, and the camera was still able to take photos. They just didn't appear on the LCD after the images were shot. Never did figure out if it was a battery issue or if the cold directly affected the LCD. Once the camera warmed up, it was never an issue again although I haven't been out in the cold for that length of time since.

Needa

Challenge Team
Shot my D5100 in the snow before. Took it outside let temperature stabilize before I shot it and put in a large freezer type bag on the way in, let it sit until it was room temperature. I had no problem. If you are getting back in a car, I'd bag it before turning on the heat.

skater

I'm in Missouri and find the condensation issue issue only in summer, when taking my gear from the A/C out into the humid, summer air.

In extreme cases it can be a problem. I had my lenses completely fog over one time because of that. In that case, it was extremely cool inside (my A/C thermostat had broken, and it ran until I realized it was like 60 F/15 C inside) and warm and humid outside. Insta-fog!

I would've been better served to leave the camera in the car the night before, had I known it was going to be an issue. For what it's worth, I haven't had it happen since, from normal A/C, going into high-humidity weather outside.

rocketman122

Why so? the worst that will happen is you need to clean the sensor, I do a lot of Grasstrack photography and I frequently get caught in clouds of dust with the camera in hand ... I dont see the point in having a nice camera if you are afraid to use it ...

do what youd like with your gear. my gear is my gear, its not going out in bad weather.

Horoscope Fish

Why so? the worst that will happen is you need to clean the sensor, I do a lot of Grasstrack photography and I frequently get caught in clouds of dust with the camera in hand... I don't see the point in having a nice camera if you are afraid to use it...
LOL... I hear ya. Freezing temperatures are about the only thing my camera bodies don't get subjected to on a regular basis.

RobV

Please understand, even though I am in the city, I do most of my lunar attempts (new tripod on the way) in the shadows in my front yard. I am not out for hours at a time (too old, too cold). And if I do go out to the country after work some morning, the camera will still be in a heated environment until I arrive in country darkness.
I have not gotten any acceptable moon shots so far, so the temptation of driving an hour for the privilege is not yet, a threat. Once I get my new tripod, a LensMaster gimbal is my next goal.

I will be sure to carry a gallon zip lock or two with me! Thanks everyone!

Rick M

I leave mine in the bag for about an hour after I come back, never had any issues. My Oly gear is rated down to 14 degrees and have gone on long hikes below 10. Only thing the cold seemed to effect was battery life. Be careful with the car temperature on the way home if you dont have it in a bag. A cooler works well too.