Sad kestrel

Felisek

While having my Saturday walk I stumbled upon this kestrel sitting on a tree next to a footpath. It looked very sad.

2MG_0497.jpg

A few of its feathers were sticking out, which made me think that it was injured.

2MG_0499.jpg

It let me approach very close.

2MG_0502.jpg

The last picture was taken from about 10-15 feet. It just sat there not paying any attention to me. I realised it was probably unable to fly and started considering what to do. Phone RSPCB?

2MG_0503.jpg

Eventually, it gave me a long look and... took off. It could fly with no apparent problems and soon disappeared in the woodland. Strange encounter. I never had a bird of pray let me approach that close. Perhaps it was injured after all? Or, maybe, it was an escaped pet, not afraid of people?

salukfan111

I've seen Kestrel and Aplomoda Falcons study me. I rescued an Aplomodo Falcon from a storm window (was between screen and window don't ask me how still thinking about it) in the summer months while doing work at my duck club and it followed me around all day.

salukfan111

While having my Saturday walk I stumbled upon this kestrel sitting on a tree next to a footpath. It looked very sad.

View attachment 187762

A few of its feathers were sticking out, which made me think that it was injured.

View attachment 187763

It let me approach very close.

View attachment 187764

The last picture was taken from about 10-15 feet. It just sat there not paying any attention to me. I realised it was probably unable to fly and started considering what to do. Phone RSPCB?

View attachment 187765

Eventually, it gave me a long look and... took off. It could fly with no apparent problems and soon disappeared in the woodland. Strange encounter. I never had a bird of pray let me approach that close. Perhaps it was injured after all? Or, maybe, it was an escaped pet, not afraid of people?
If the bird takes notice of you, you are too close.

Roy1961

Contributor
maybe watching some mice lurking about below? to me i think when it closed its wings one was stuck between that twig? just my guess, i would be more than happy getting that close, you got great shots btw.

Last edited:

Jopho

Let's hope it was just relaxed so you can stop worrying and just enjoy the memory of your wonderful encounter.
(and hadn't just consumed a poisoned rat...oops did I just say that?)