AF Nikkor 20mm f2.8 D lens help needed

Bill16

Hey all! I need a CPL filter for this wide angle lens that is thin enough that it won't overly darken the corners of the photos! Can you post a link to a CPL filter in 62mm that will work great for this lens? I'm interested in buying a good one of good brand! :)

I want it for the AF Nikkor 20mm f2.8 D lens, that I plan to use primarily for landscapes!

I appreciate your help!:D

Bill16

Will this cure the darkening of the corners? I don't need the filter for any other lenses is why I ask! Besides I have a hood for the lens, so my preference would be a 62mm so I could keep the hood on, unless the step up using a larger filter will solve the darkening at the corners issue.

Get a step-up ring and use a larger filter, such as 72 or 77mm.

Bill16

PS. In my first try at buying a cpl filter I wasted over a hundred dollars on a filter that darkened the corners! So I need to keep from making the same mistake again! Lol :)

480sparky

Are you referring to the hard Nikon HB4 hood? I don't know if a step-up ring would fit with the hood on. A 62-67 might. The only way to know is try one.

Be very careful using a Pol on such a wide angle. Since the effect of the filter depends on the viewing angle in relationship to the light source, you may start getting the effect of the filter in one part of the image, and not in another.

Bill16

I'm more concerned about avoiding darkening of the corners!

Are you referring to the hard Nikon HB4 hood? I don't know if a step-up ring would fit with the hood on. A 62-67 might. The only way to know is try one.

Be very careful using a Pol on such a wide angle. Since the effect of the filter depends on the viewing angle in relationship to the light source, you may start getting the effect of the filter in one part of the image, and not in another.

Bill16

Oh I do understand about the obvious issue of vertical lines tilting. But I'm not sure what other issues you might mean.

480sparky

I use a thin B+W, but mine is 77mm, and I've never used it on that wide of a lens. 28 is pretty much my limit.

Polarizers effectiveness is related to the angle between it, the subject and the light source. Since the 20mm has a 94° FOV, it's capable of capturing a scene where part of it receives the full effect of polarized light, while another part see NO effect. This is very apparent when shooting a clear blue sky.

For instance, if you were to stand out in an open field, and face south at sunrise, a line directly north and south over your head would see the full effect of the POL, but the east and west horizons would see no effect.

Sunrise.jpg

The effect at, say, 10AM:

10AM.jpg

And at noon:

Noon.jpg

3PM:

330.jpg

And sunset:

Sunset.jpg

To show this, I took this shot looking north (without a filter) in midafternoon:

NoFilter.jpg

Slap on a CPL, and I get this:

WithFilter.jpg

Last edited:

Bill16

Oh, so you don't recommend a cpl filter for this lens then? Ok can you post a link to the filter you use, as I do have the 24mm and the 28mm, and this might be used on them if not my 20mm.
I use a thin B+W, but mine is 77mm, and I've never used it on that wide of a lens. 28 is pretty much my limit.

Polarizers effectiveness is related to the angle between it, the subject and the light source. Since the 20mm has a 94° FOV, it's capable of capturing a scene where part of it receives the full effect of polarized light, while another part see NO effect. This is very apparent when shooting a clear blue sky.