Shutter Speed and Aperture Lock

carguy

Looks like the D700 has Shutter Speed and Aperture Lock according to the user manual.

Any way of doing this on the D7100? Shooting events/sports I sometimes find my fingers inadvertently moving the front or rear dials altering my settings while in Manual.

Gaffers tape is an option, but I'd rather not.

From the D700 manual (p. 326)

Use this option to lock shutter speed at the value selected in
shutter-priority auto or manual exposure mode, or to lock
aperture at the value selected in aperture-priority auto or manual
exposure mode. Lock is not available in programmed auto
exposure mode.

Shutter speed lock Choose On to lock shutter speed, Off (the default
option) to unlock.
Aperture lock Choose On to lock aperture, Off (the default
option) to unlock.

Last edited:

J-see

Isn't there a setting that adds a button press when using the scroll wheel to avoid this involuntary switching?

I just went through the manual since I remember reading something similar for my cams.

Maybe this does the trick:

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 13.33.27.png

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

Let me see if I understand this....

You're in Manual mode, and you want a button to press to keep you from turning the aperture or shutter speed dial? :cheerful:

carguy

lol no.

More of a setting that will lock the settings preventing me from inadvertently altering settings :)
Seems the D700 does this in the menu someplace according to the manual.

Fred Kingston

I'm having a tough time grasping that concept in Manual Mode for the reasons you state. :eek:

In manual mode, if you want to change the aperture, you turn the wheel. If you don't want to change the aperture, you DON'T turn the wheel.

carguy

Perhaps I'm not communicating this well enough.

When I'm shooting hockey, say, my settings never change. Sometimes I inadvertently hit the wheel while shooting or holding the camera altering aperture or shutter speed. If I don't notice, some shots are not exposed properly....

Kevin H

I know what your saying

Set up at hockey arena lighting is the same through out kids are always moving so why change the settings lets "lock it there"

So now if carguy puts his camera down and hits a command dial on his pants Etc the setting don't change

Daz

So what your asking is like on the D600, you have a lock feature for the Focusing click wheel ... you want that for ALL settings ... I don't think I have seen such a feature ...

Fred Kingston

Menu Option F7 "Customize Command Dials" allows the aperture command dial to be locked or unlocked(command dial changes the aperture) using a lens with an aperture ring...it ignores the menu options with a G lens with no aperture ring. it doesn't let you customize the shutter speed dial.