Paper choice for Wedding photos

Paper choice for printing

• Total voters

Roy1961

Contributor
i would vote for Luster as personally i think the glossy is just to shinny, my own personal taste and never printed on any of them before, just thinking back to my own wedding album.

RON_RIP

I am a big fan of Ilford Pearl and Ilford Fibre Gold. But I am using a pigment ink printer and due not know how they would print on dye ink printer.

Moab Man

When I'm doing photos, I always ask my customer first. I explain that glossy tends to look the best, sharpest, and most vibrant, BUT once a finger print is on the photo it will be there. Where non-glossy options are a little more forgiving. If they want to go glossy I give them a pair of my few hundred cotton gloves I have in a bag for handling photographs.

My preference is glossy, but only if they are willing to put the extra careful effort into handling them.

When I'm doing photos, I always ask my customer first. I explain that glossy tends to look the best, sharpest, and most vibrant, BUT once a finger print is on the photo it will be there. Where non-glossy options are a little more forgiving. If they want to go glossy I give them a pair of my few hundred cotton gloves I have in a bag for handling photographs.

My preference is glossy, but only if they are willing to put the extra careful effort into handling them.

Basically the same thing I think.

skene

It really would be customer choice. I however would recommend the luster over the glossy. Maybe larger images that you can have framed for them as an option in glossy.

Blacktop

I voted glossy because I like glossy. Why don't you have a few sample photos printed first? Some glossy, some luster and see what the verdict is.

Since I am paying for all of the prints I think I will make the decision on what to print. I was leaning toward Luster for all the reasons so I think that is the way I will go.

I had a message from the Father of the Bride telling me that they really wanted to see ALL the photos I shot. He knows that there will be shots they like that I don't think are good enough to be printed but they would like anyway. LOL. I had to explain to him that would never happen and that photographers never let the client see everything that was shot much less let them print something that was not up to the photographers standards. He was nice about it and said that he did understand. What is is with people thinking that photographers should bow down to clients? Maybe a paying client should get a little consideration but never to the point of seeing everything that was shot and deciding which ones were good enough. OK off of my soapbox now.

NEVER AGAIN. Birds and mountains are a lot better to shoot.

Daz

What is is with people thinking that photographers should bow down to clients? Maybe a paying client should get a little consideration but never to the point of seeing everything that was shot and deciding which ones were good enough. OK off of my soapbox now.

Nope ! Paying or free, its the same, for me the client sees what I want them to see, I wont even show a client photos in Lightroom, they wait and see them as Jpegs

Horoscope Fish

What is is with people thinking that photographers should bow down to clients? Maybe a paying client should get a little consideration but never to the point of seeing everything that was shot and deciding which ones were good enough. OK off of my soapbox now.
In what is admittedly my limited experience with this (not a wedding photographer (can't bear the thought of it, really)), it's a simple misunderstanding.

To the client it seems perfectly logical to want to see everything and too be able to choose the shots they like best. I simply explain that my work, once released into the wild, is a direct reflection on me and where I am as a photographer; as such I need maintain control over what is released and what is not. Once this has been explained, typically, the "light goes on" in their head and everything is good.

In my one "worst case scenario" I flat out lied and simply told the "client" they were seeing every shot, when in fact the shots had been culled prior to their arrival. I didn't lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:
In what is admittedly my limited experience with this, it's a simple misunderstanding.
I simply explain that my work, once released into the wild, is a direct reflection on me and where I am as a photographer; as such I need maintain control over what is released and what is not.

That is exactly what I told Father of the bride yesterday.

Blacktop

Since I am paying for all of the prints I think I will make the decision on what to print. I was leaning toward Luster for all the reasons so I think that is the way I will go.

I had a message from the Father of the Bride telling me that they really wanted to see ALL the photos I shot. He knows that there will be shots they like that I don't think are good enough to be printed but they would like anyway. LOL. I had to explain to him that would never happen and that photographers never let the client see everything that was shot much less let them print something that was not up to the photographers standards. He was nice about it and said that he did understand. What is is with people thinking that photographers should bow down to clients? Maybe a paying client should get a little consideration but never to the point of seeing everything that was shot and deciding which ones were good enough. OK off of my soapbox now.

NEVER AGAIN. Birds and mountains are a lot better to shoot.
I understand. Why are you even dealing with the printing part of this whole freebie thing anyhow? When I shot my under protest freebie wedding, I gave my friend the shots I deemed exceptable on a USB stick, and told him he has to deal with the printing side of it.

He was more than happy with the deal.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I understand. Why are you even dealing with the printing part of this whole freebie thing anyhow? When I shot my under protest freebie wedding, I gave my friend the shots I deemed exceptable on a USB stick, and told him he has to deal with the printing side of it.

He was more than happy with the deal.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Back to the whole "s a direct reflection on me and where I am as a photographer; as such I need maintain control over what is released and what is not. "

i would be afraid they would take them to the local drug store to get them printed or even worse crank up their home printer and print them on regular paper and show them to everyone.

Daz

Back to the whole "s a direct reflection on me and where I am as a photographer; as such I need maintain control over what is released and what is not. "

i would be afraid they would take them to the local drug store to get them printed or even worse crank up their home printer and print them on regular paper and show them to everyone.

Could you not do them a photo album instead of prints?

Over here we have deals all the time on Photo Books, I have heard Adorama Pix is amazing over in the US