Noobie just picked up a d7100 with a Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II lens

Focus

Hi, This is my first DSLR.... I'm going to pick up some more glass after Christmas, but this should keep me busy for a while..... I'm hopping it arrives sometime this week!

Bill16

Congrats! I have a D7100 myself and though I haven't used mine much yet, it has a lot going for it! So I hope you have a blast with yours! Welcome to our Nikonites family!:D

SpikeyLemon

Welcome, I am sure you will enjoy your new camera.

Just curious if you don't mind. Why did you choose Tameron as oppose to a equivalent Nikon?

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum and congratulations,with that being your first lens try to hold off a bit before buying any more,this will give you chance to see which area of the zoom you use the most, then that will give you more idea which lenses to buy.

Focus

Because I was tight on cash and it was fair priced with good reviews.... I got the Camera body on it's own, with the lens kit it would have cost £140 more. I did really want the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG, but didn't have the spare money.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Because I was tight on cash and it was fair priced with good reviews.... I got the Camera body on it's own, with the lens kit it would have cost £140 more. I did really want the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG, but didn't have the spare money.

I think you have a good starter lens there,it will help you decide where you want to go.

Focus

Thanks I think the camera body is coming today... I really hope the lens also does, The lens was used for £60 on eBay, seemed a very good deal!

Focus

The camera has just arrived! I'm charging the battery now & hopping the lens comes with the post soon. I'm loving the feel of this bit of kit.... It has a very nice weight!

Last edited:

Focus

Thanks, will do as soon as my lens shows up... It's looking more like tomorrow or Wednesday now.... I'll post my first image when it arrives! I'm reading the user manual.

salukfan111

Don't spend a lot of money on lens at first. There are some really awesome screw drive nikkor lens on ebay very reasonably priced. Just let folks know what your interested in and they'll provide recommendations. There is no sense in not taking advantage of all the things people here have learned the hard way. A really cool dirt cheap lens in a 28-85 Nikkor (60 bucks on ebay) - you will rarely take it off the camera for walking around stuff. If you'd like to try MF lens, then the sky is the limit just use ai or ai'd lens.