What is the best filter to leave on a lens? skylight, UV, or ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horoscope Fish

I use a CPL when shooting outdoors, but that's a personal choice based on what a polarizing filter does, it's not so much for protection. You might want to look into the Hoya HD Protector. It's a totally clear, super hard, protective filter that won't break the bank.

Blacktop

The best protection for my lenses that I have found ,is a lens hood. Unless I'm shooting something that requires a filter, ie...an ND filter to slow things down or a CPL to cut reflections and such, I really don't want anything between the scene that I'm shooting and my lens.

skene

Like it has been said already... best filter is no filter.
It's not necessary unless you are going for a certain type of shot. ie ND, CPL etc.... A lens hood is plenty of protection against any spills. While there may be times that maybe you feel you need to put some level of protection on your lens because of fear that something may hit it (rock/debris) then by all means place something on.

However I would not put too much thought into filters as a level of protection unless you are planning on shooting metal pipes from 1" away.

Last edited:

Dragonfly

Banned

Dragonfly

Banned
The best protection for my lenses that I have found ,is a lens hood. Unless I'm shooting something that requires a filter, ie...an ND filter to slow things down or a CPL to cut reflections and such, I really don't want anything between the scene that I'm shooting and my lens.

I shot this Eagle a few days ago from the mud at the bottom of a near empty reservoir, it's not a great eagle shot, but it is the first I have seen in new Jersey. I have to lug my gear for miles sometimes and I go thru everything so a filter is a must. https://www.flickr.com/photos/136279335@N04/22375662667/in/photostream/

This shot was in the middle of a trillion grains of pollen, dust, and plant parts.......... Not to mention the bugs https://www.flickr.com/photos/136279335@N04/22624929096/

The filter has to be there before the lens arrives for me.......

Last edited:
Would this one be any better with the nano coating? It's only a few dollars more. B+W 58mm XS-Pro UV Haze MRC-Nano 010M Filter 66-1066120 B&H

I don't know. I would talk to B&H tech support and ask them about it. They were the ones that recommended the B+W filter that I mentioned above, in the first place, to me. I had bought a much cheaper (different brand) UV filter that clearly degraded my image-quality; so I returned it and got the B+W's.

My guess is that the nano will be great, but they have some real filter experts there at B&H and they're super helpful...:)

Actually, the ad at B&H does say the following about the nano coating; so I'd say go for it.:

The Nano coating associated with XS-Pro filters provides an additional eighth layer over the MRC, resulting in an improved beading effect when in contact with water for greater cleaning efficiency.

Last edited:

Dragonfly

Banned
I don't know. I would talk to B&H tech support and ask them about it. They were the ones that recommended the B+W filter that I mentioned above, in the first place, to me. I had bought a much cheaper (different brand) UV filter that clearly degraded my image-quality; so I returned it and got the B+W's.

My guess is that the nano will be great, but they have some real filter experts there at B&H and they're super helpful...:)

I could do that but a company will always recommend the product that they have the highest markup on, thus a Hoya, or Tiffen might be better but would not make them as much money. Will try them anyway. Thanks.

I could do that but a company will always recommend the product that they have the highest markup on, thus a Hoya, or Tiffen might be better but would not make them as much money. Will try them anyway. Thanks.

I haven't found that to be true at B&H. I've always gotten good, honest advice from them.

Yes, I really do. If you have a problem with them you should let them know. They'll make it right. I've done a lot of business with them and they're top notch.

I find myself using my CPL almost all the time when shooting outside. The one I use is the "Hoya High Definition Hardened Glass 8-layer Multi-Coated Circular Polarizing HD Filter" When indoors Especially if I am in a crowded room I like a lens hood. Keeps me from banging into things/people with the glass.

mikew_RIP

Dont believe a filter does a lot to protect against bumps and bangs that a good hood cant do,i spend a lot of time on the beach,very muddy areas and close to tame waterfowl constantly splashing mucky lake water about,the filter does offer protection against splashes in these situations,i have two marks from these splashes already which will not clean off completely.
Its nearly time for a new filter,if i had not been using one it would have been between £200-£300 for a new front element and the lens would have been away for a few weeks,as it is it will be about £80-100 for a new filter and i will not be without the lens,its one of those things you should consider all the facts relevant to you and then make the decision.

Horoscope Fish

Dont believe a filter does a lot to protect against bumps and bangs that a good hood cant do,i spend a lot of time on the beach,very muddy areas and close to tame waterfowl constantly splashing mucky lake water about,the filter does offer protection against splashes in these situations,i have two marks from these splashes already which will not clean off completely.
This is the sort of thing I like to point out to the "you don't need a protective filter" crowd: a lot more can happen to a front lens element than impact damage.

Don't believe me? Come on out here and shoot with me for a week...

First we'll hit the beach and deal with salt spray and the crunchy residue it leaves behind. Later we'll head out to the low desert where you can experience the talcum-powder consistency of desert sand that sticks to everything under the sun. Then we'll head to the campus where I work so you can get some "mud" (wet clay) splatter on your gear while we photograph ceramicists at work.

You can then lecture me about how I don't need a protective filter as you sit and clean all that c--p off your lens. I'll be hanging on your every word as I unscrew my $60 filter and run it under the faucet.

Blacktop

This is the sort of thing I like to point out to the "you don't need a protective filter" crowd: a lot more can happen to a front lens element than impact damage.

Don't believe me? Come on out here and shoot with me for a week...

First we'll hit the beach and deal with salt spray and the crunchy residue it leaves behind. Later we'll head out to the low desert where you can experience the talcum-powder consistency of desert sand that sticks to everything under the sun. Then we'll head to the campus where I work so you can get some "mud" (wet clay) splatter on your gear while we photograph ceramicists at work.

You can then lecture me about how I don't need a protective filter as you sit and clean all that c--p off your lens. I'll be hanging on your every word as I unscrew my $60 filter and run it under the faucet.

Uhmmmmm..Just a quick question please... How do you even get any light to hit your sensor, let alone get all those nice and clean images that you post, with all that gook that is flying around in the air?:indecisiveness:

I think I'll just stay here in the clean mountain air.:encouragement:

Status
Not open for further replies.