Lens Fitment Seems So Versatile

adot45

My camera won't be here until Monday...actually, it's "here" in my state already but no Saturday delivery for UPS. Anyway, reading the manual about lens fitment. I have an older Nikon 35~80mm AF Nikkor 1.4~5.6 D lens I found in a dark corner of a closet. According to this chart in the d7100 manual this lens will work pretty well with this camera....yes? So what I was wondering is if the camera will "sense" what lens is attached to it and automatically use it's own internal motor to focus?

Lens Fitment.jpg

adot45

So DX lenses made since 2003 have the DX in a box on the lens designation, this is great....But if I run across a lens that Is AF but has 4 or 5 contacts is it an assumption that it's an FX lens? Nikonusa had a link to information about this and I thought I had finally found paydirt but the link was a dead end.

480sparky

So DX lenses made since 2003 have the DX in a box on the lens designation, this is great....But if I run across a lens that Is AF but has 4 or 5 contacts is it an assumption that it's an FX lens? Nikonusa had a link to information about this and I thought I had finally found paydirt but the link was a dead end.

DX lenses are thus marked. Anything else would be FX.

The Nikon F-mount was introduced in 1959, long before digital and DX sensors. They were not marked as full-frame or FX because everything was full-frame back then.... it was all simply 35mm film.

When digital came along and smaller-than-24x36-mm sensors hit the market, Nikon designated them as DX sensors and marketed DX lenses to go along with them, using the DX monikor to designate the lens as having a smaller projected image circle. But the older full-frame lenses could be used too, but they weren't marked as such. The tradition continues today.

If it doesn't say "DX" on it, it's full frame. Of course, that's just for Nikon. All bets are off for 3rd-party glass.