Which bodies are equivalent to the D800?

theNEWT

I'd like to know which other camera bodies are the same as the Nikon D800/E. I'm after a dead body for bits. I'm pretty sure there are other bodies the same but I don't know which models.

Thanks

AC016

Which bits are you after? I would imagine that Nikons ff cameras carry a lot of the same parts. I can't imagine Nikon making completely different parts for every ff camera, it just would not make business sense.

D200freak

I can tell you that there's probably NOTHING common between a D200 and a D800.

I have thought, more than once, what Nikon should do is make a "perfect" camera body, with all lessons learned in the making of a good SLR body implemented in it, with all the electronics meant to be replaced as a unit with the latest and greatest technology being installed and the old version removed when it becomes obsolete. Most of the manufacturing cost of a professional grade DSLR is in the body, with the sensor assembly coming in second. The rest is relatively inexpensive.

nikonpup

any dead bodies you are likely to find will have damage that is not repairable. Check with a nikon service center for repair price. I have read where members have sent their bodies offshore for repair, repair may take 3-4 months.

D200freak

I don't consider most forms of damage to be unrepairable. But then again, I've spent my whole life working on and repairing electronics and working on mechanisms ranging from repair and adjustment of wristwatches to rebuilding engines. I'm one of those "special cases" that can work on pretty much ANYTHING.