48x16 photo

RSNovi

Hello,

We would like to produce a photo of our family in a 3:1 aspect ratio or a 48x16 canvas to put above our fireplace.

We are looking to hire a photographer to do this so I can be in the photo. Myself I have never done this and photographers we have spoken to say they think they can do it, but never have.

Can you guys let me know how you might take such a photo? Any special lens required. For example maybe our family of four would be laying down in some leaves.

One photographer we are scheduled to go with tomorrow did an experiment and she just told us she wasn't happy with the result and wouldn't be able to produce such a photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trick is to figure out in advance the dimensions. Then shoot with slop at the top and bottom that you will cut away.

Draw a square. Now divide the square into three equal sections from top to bottom. Now when you shoot make sure your subject fits into the middle section.

A lot of this depends on how many people are in the portrait. 4 people in the shot and that ratio probably is not going to look good. 10 -15 probably will work better. Again, look at the ratios on height to width. Average male is 6 foot. With the 3:1 ratio you want then you will need the width of the people to be 18 feet. Now of course you can have other things above and to the side but the starting number of 18 feet across as a minimum is probably close.

Bob Blaylock

We would like to produce a photo of our family in a 3:1 aspect ratio or a 48x16 canvas to put above our fireplace.

We are looking to hire a photographer to do this so I can be in the photo.

Got a tripod? Got a remote control for your D7000? Then you don't need a separate photographer.

If you don't have these things, why not? I just checked Nikon's site, and the ML-L3 is listed as being compatible with your camera, and it's only about twenty dollars. You can get third-party knockoffs for even less than that, that are probably just as good.

In lieu of a tripod, you can set the camera on a piece of furniture, a box, or whatever is available, and find small objects to wedge under it to hold it at the necessary angle.

Myself I have never done this and photographers we have spoken to say they think they can do it, but never have.

Can you guys let me know how you might take such a photo? Any special lens required.

Why would you need a special lens?

Whatever lens you have, just set the camera up at such a distance that it takes in the full width of your subjects.

Your D7000 has a horizontal resolution of 4928 pixels. Over a 48-inch-wide print, that'll give you a resolution of slightly better than 100 DPI. That's a bit coarser than I'd really like for a printed image, but for that size, and for the distance at which is would best be viewed, that is probably plenty of resolution. If this is to be printed on canvas, then the surface is probably rough enough that any finer resolution wouldn't help anyway.

If you think you do need better resolution, then you can have the picture taken in two or three shots and stitched together with Microsoft ICE to form a panorama; but if you do that, then you will need someone else to operate the camera, and you'll all need to stay very still while the pictures are being taken.

For example maybe our family of four would be laying down in some leaves.

One photographer we are scheduled to go with tomorrow did an experiment and she just told us she wasn't happy with the result and wouldn't be able to produce such a photo.

RSNovi

Hello all,

I appreciate the advice and encouragement that this can be done. We are headed to a garden for pictures today so I will do some experimenting.

RSNovi

I was able to take a nice photo of the family. I overestimated what I would need to crop so I am at only 60-70 dpi.

I am going to try it out since the poses are so nice. I am kicking myself for being so far zoomed out.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You could make yourself an acetate mask with the proportions you want for the live view, put the camera on a tripod, frame it with family and then use the self-timer to shoot or get a remote.