Does the HK-26 hood fit the AF-S VR 300/2.8G ?

pforsell

SOLVED! Does the HK-26 hood fit the AF-S VR 300/2.8G ?

Does the longer HK-26 hood from the AF-S 300/2.8 D II fit the VR I which has the much shorter HK-30 hood meant for only 200 mm? Can anyone give an affirmative answer based on first hand experience.

Please no maybes, perhapses, it-shoulds or my-cousin-said-sos. :cool:

Last edited:

pforsell

I have gathered some more info. All the HK-19, HK-22 and HK-26 (and HK-30 but it is shorter) hoods have the exactly same dimensions and exactly the same lens mounting interface and hence they are all interchangeable. The short HK-30 hood was introduced with AF-S 200-400/4 and its appearance with 300VR seems like an odd afterthought*.

The last question I have left is whether the HK-26 fits the AF-S VR 300/2.8G backwards for transport? Anybody has tried this first hand?

* Funnily enough the HK-30 is officially listed by Nikon as the alternative hood for 200VR. It is lighter (carbon fibre vs. metal), a bit narrower and 1 centimeter longer than the odd flaring tinpot HK-31 that came with my 200/2 VR2. This fact alone rises a question of why did this short hood come with the 300VR in the first place? And yes, I use the lighter HK-30 with my 200VR2 but would like to use the longer HK-26 with my 300VR.

pforsell

I decided to bump one last time. Does anybody have first hand knowledge whether the HK-26 hood fits the AF-S VR 300/2.8G backwards for transport?

maybe, perhapse, it-should and my-cousin-said-so

The think I would be concerned with the length being to long with a shorter lens. the longer the lens the longer the hood you can use without it getting in the shot are wide angle. Probably why most people just buy/use the recommended hood,

pforsell

maybe, perhapse, it-should and my-cousin-said-so

The think I would be concerned with the length being to long with a shorter lens. the longer the lens the longer the hood you can use without it getting in the shot are wide angle. Probably why most people just buy/use the recommended hood,

I know all this, as you might have guessed. Thanks anyway for your reply despite it being off topic.

Seeing as no one else was responding I thought any response would be better than no response. And you are new here with not many posts se no, we don't know what you might know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pforsell

Thanks all for participating. This question is now closed, since I have first hand knowledge about HK-26. The hood indeed does fit the 300VR1 both forward and backward.

And the too-short HK-30 suits better the 200VR2 which has the stupid tin-pan hood HK-31.

Vignetting is not affected in either case -- naturally -- and flare is better controlled.

22771552302_181d6759b2_o.jpg

22759086606_caeb341652_o.jpg

Last edited: