Hello from NY

omgboost

Hi, I have an old D3000 with 18-55 lens, 35mm lens, and 55-200 lens and I am looking to upgrade. I've been attempting to learn more about the camera and how to shoot manually but just couldn't find the time to do so and go out and shoot alwith it much. Most of the time I don't see anything spectacular with my photos. Anyway, I have a newborn on the way and am thinking about upgrading my dslr to the D7100 so I can shoot video as well. Most of my pictures are of hiking trails and sightseeing in the city. However, more that I think about it, I don't know if it will be worth it for me to get a DSLR. I'm thinking a point and shoot will suffice. What do you guys think? I'd love to hear your input.

TIA

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Bill16

Welcome to our Nikonites family! Buying a DSLR is an important decision, and if you think a point and shoot might work for you, I would suggest to try both and see if holding a good DSLR in your hands sparks excitement for you! If not, the a point and shoot might be the best way for you to go.

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,while a point and shoot may be ok now, when your child starts running round and playing a DSLR will be easier to catch the action with.

nickt

Other than video, where are you falling short with the d3000? That answer might guide your way. Are your pictures blah and/or lacking sharpness? That can usually be improved with camera settings or post processing. It is not likely to be improved with a 'better' DSLR either. It's still going to be a technique, settings or post processing thing.

Don't beat yourself up with shooting manual either. Too much advice out their convincing less experienced shooters that manual is the answer to all their troubles. I do recommend getting off of Auto and sticking to shutter (S) or aperture priority (A). When you start having particular exposure issues in S or A mode, then you can use manual mode to avoid those issues. You should get familiar with the basics of exposure though if you plan to stick with a dslr. With that knowledge it will be no big deal to jump between modes S,A & M modes.

omgboost

Other than video, where are you falling short with the d3000? That answer might guide your way. Are your pictures blah and/or lacking sharpness? That can usually be improved with camera settings or post processing. It is not likely to be improved with a 'better' DSLR either. It's still going to be a technique, settings or post processing thing.

Don't beat yourself up with shooting manual either. Too much advice out their convincing less experienced shooters that manual is the answer to all their troubles. I do recommend getting off of Auto and sticking to shutter (S) or aperture priority (A). When you start having particular exposure issues in S or A mode, then you can use manual mode to avoid those issues. You should get familiar with the basics of exposure though if you plan to stick with a dslr. With that knowledge it will be no big deal to jump between modes S,A & M modes.
Mostly it's the video and the live viewfinder. I would also like more of the focus points and easier access to settings found on the D7100. Most of my shots were in S or A mode but I've begun to mainly shoot in M to get use to the exposure triangle settings. Some of my pictures come out really dark or too bright, sometimes I think the pictures look nice but I feel that it takes a few seconds for me to adjust the settings to capture the moment. With a kid, I don't want to miss a moment which is why I think a point and shoot would be great. I know I can shoot auto with the dslr but if the point and shoot serves my ourpose, I don't see the need for spending the extra money on another dslr. I do like the dslr though and would like to take up taking pictures of the stars but that means I need to travel a few hours away from the city.

Post processing is another subject I need to get myself familiar with. The only post processing I know is converting the image to jpeg and changing the resolution.

nickt

Mostly it's the video and the live viewfinder. I would also like more of the focus points and easier access to settings found on the D7100. Most of my shots were in S or A mode but I've begun to mainly shoot in M to get use to the exposure triangle settings. Some of my pictures come out really dark or too bright, sometimes I think the pictures look nice but I feel that it takes a few seconds for me to adjust the settings to capture the moment. With a kid, I don't want to miss a moment which is why I think a point and shoot would be great. I know I can shoot auto with the dslr but if the point and shoot serves my ourpose, I don't see the need for spending the extra money on another dslr. I do like the dslr though and would like to take up taking pictures of the stars but that means I need to travel a few hours away from the city.

Post processing is another subject I need to get myself familiar with. The only post processing I know is converting the image to jpeg and changing the resolution.

It sounds like you know exactly what you are getting into if you choose to go dslr. You will get quick with a little practice. Once your fingers know the way, it will be second nature to change settings on a d7100. Easier than your d3000. A point and shoot could be convenient in some situations, but could also get frustrating in others. Easier control over your focus with the d7100. Sure you can quickly mess with exposure too, but I'm thinking with a kid running around, nailing the focus will be the biggest thing. Quickly switching to single point focus will be handy when you need to make sure your guy is the one in focus in a big group or other complicated scene.

Last edited: