noisy 55-200mm lens

Nikonewbie

I have noticed that the lens is making noise, in the video it starts at 0:03 then 0:25, it is a chattering noise like the gears are stripping. Turn up the volume and you will hear it.
But I found out it only happen when I'm using the Live View mode,
If I'm using the view finder, there's no such sound.

Does anyone else have that noise? disengaging the live view seems to solve it and if anyone knows how these are put together I am sure they can explain it.

I was thinking something was wrong but I am believing that it isn't a problem, as you know when engaging the live view you hear a noise like it is changing gears and that is when the noise is present.

Bob Blaylock

I have noticed that the lens is making noise, in the video it starts at 0:03 then 0:25, it is a chattering noise like the gears are stripping. Turn up the volume and you will hear it.
But I found out it only happen when I'm using the Live View mode,
If I'm using the view finder, there's no such sound.

Does anyone else have that noise? disengaging the live view seems to solve it and if anyone knows how these are put together I am sure they can explain it.

I was thinking something was wrong but I am believing that it isn't a problem, as you know when engaging the live view you hear a noise like it is changing gears and that is when the noise is present.

There's a motor in the lens, focusing it. Of course it's going to make noise. For some reason, Nikon calls its focus motor by the trademarked name “Silentwave”, but that name notwithstanding, the motor is not silent. I take it you got the dual-lens kit, that includes that lens along with the 18-55? The 18-55 also makes noise, though perhaps it is quieter than the larger 55-200.

Nikonewbie

no I bought the lens separate, the paperwork states that the motors are "silent" the 18-55 is silent when focusing and the 55-200 with the live view disabled it is just as silent.

Fred Kingston

I'm sorry this isn't going to make you happy. If you google "Nikon autofocus noise", you'll see that this is a problem with pretty much all Nikon lenses and cameras... in one form or another... The general solution is to either NOT use autofocus or do the sound recording off camera with either a different mic. and/or recording equipment.