Warranty

Nikonewbie

Hi, should I buy the 3yr extended warranty for 55$? How dependable is the D3200? The warranty covers everything even if I drop it in the toilet or if I'm drunk and dropkick it. I do not usually buy extended warranties but I have no experience with these camera's.

nickt

I'm not a fan of extended warranties, but I am starting to have an appreciation for drops and spills protection if its not too pricey. On impulse, I did buy a 4 year plan on Amazon when I got my d7100. I think it was around the same price you are looking at. It was a warranty company that I was not familiar with. I figured at a minimum, if they turned out to be a rip-off, Amazon would probably refund what I paid for the plan if I complained. If you go for it, keep in mind it might not cover a lens or it may only cover a lens kitted with the camera. Google the warranty company and see if there are many complaints. There will also be some complaints, so look for success stories too. I do use SquareTrade on our cell phones and made a claim once and they came through for me.

I think the camera itself is solid. If it doesn't break during the first year, it probably won't break during 3 years either. But if you drop it even on a carpet, it will probably break. Another thing to consider is what your camera will be worth during the 2nd and 3rd year. So for $55, its up to you. Some people might need to save for weeks to accumulate $55, others might drop $55 on drinks with dinner.

carguy

No. Extended warranties are money makers for the seller. I choose to use the BIG money they spend to realize that odd are certainly in their favor.

I don't buy extended warranties for anything. Strictly financially speaking, it is a poor decision.

To some, it gives them peace of mind, that may be worth something to YOU personally.

WayneF

That's my notion too. I'd keep the $55 as payment for my self insurance. The price is low, because the risk is also low. The insurer is in this business, and does not expect to have to pay a more expensive claim. The odds are that if the camera is going to fail, it'll be first year, or after three years.

If the policy also includes accident insurance, that may change the odds, but the insurer is still betting against paying a claim. Or peace of mind might be worth something to you.

That's my notion too. I'd keep the $55 as payment for my self insurance. The price is low, because the risk is also low. The insurer is in this business, and does not expect to have to pay a more expensive claim. The odds are that if the camera is going to fail, it'll be first year, or after three years.

If the policy also includes accident insurance, that may change the odds, but the insurer is still betting against paying a claim. Or peace of mind might be worth something to you.

I agree 100%. As far as accident insurance you are better off getting a rider on your homeowners policy that will cover everything.