Change AF point

GGDrummer

Hello all!

I've seen a video wich suggests that when looking through the viewfinder you can use your finger on the screen to move the AF points around.

Would anyone know what seetings you need / how this is done?

Thanks
George

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
On my D5100/D7100 it's the multi selector ring around the OK button. You have to press the shutter button halfway, then press one of the little arrows. Pressing OK will bring you back to center.

Check your manual for more info, it's your friend.

Horoscope Fish

On the D5500 there is an "Assign touch Fn" option, which leaves the LCD screen active when the viewfinder is in use and allows you to move the focus point by touch. You'll need to find that setting in the menu options, I don't remember where it is. Most likely it's in the CUSTOM SETTINGS somewhere.

nickt

I don't have a d5500, but as HF said, you need to turn it on. I'm not sure exactly what touch functions there are when using the viewfinder. At some point the screen needs to turn off so your face doesn't activate it. You can certainly focus and/or shoot from touching the screen in live view.

Its worth mentioning that there are two owners manuals. You get a sparse user manual with the camera, but if you go to Nikon site, you can download that manual as well as a more extensive 'reference manual'. That's the one to get. Being pdf's you can quickly search them on your computer for key words.
Nikon | Download center | D5500

GGDrummer

Morning all,

If this reply doubles up apologies. Navigating the site is a little difficult for me. So a few weeks ago after some D5500 troubleshooting I found the "Assign touch fn" setting in the (Autofocus) section. Im now able to look through the viewfinder and use the touchscreen to move the focus points to where I want the. Its quite intuitive, I like it!

Regards 2 all!