New 16 lens camera gunning for a chunk of the DSLR market.

Horoscope Fish

I'm not saying this ISN'T the "Next Big Thing", but I'm always a little suspicious when I read THAT much marketing-speak... Doubly so when there's a dearth of real, technical specifications you can actually wrap your brain around/discuss/ask about in detail. I'm just waiting to hear the image format is .XPG or .PQZ or some other previously unheard of format that (surprise!) requires proprietary software to work with.

The devil, typically, is in the details and that article is way short on the details. I think the price-point, by breaking into the fourth-digit, is going to limit the appeal.

Still, I will admit to being intrigued.

Last edited:

PapaST

I like the view screen and how manual controls can be changed from there. I'm guessing the changes would be seen through the view. Looks cool.

Might as well stick a phone in it. It already looks like one. ;)

BackdoorArts

I'm not saying this ISN'T the "Next Big Thing", but I'm always a little suspicious when I read THAT much marketing-speak... Doubly so when there's a dearth of real, technical specifications you can actually wrap your brain around/discuss/ask about in detail. I'm just waiting to hear the image format is .XPG or .PQZ or some other previously unheard of format that (surprise!) requires proprietary software to work with.

The devil, typically, is in the details and that article is way short on the details. I think the price-point, by breaking into the fourth-digit, is going to limit the appeal.

Still, I will admit to being intrigued.

This is where I'm at. Sounds really slick but it has me wondering alot about file format and whether or not proprietary software is required. Would be great to be able to save 25% on it, but I'm not willing to roll the dice on something that unknown.

singlerosa_RIP

Wonder if it can do this?

JFS_4649.jpg

carguy

ISO priority?
f1.0 depth of field?

Gimmick. Comparing things like that to DSLR glass quality is absurd.
Considering how most people use/share images, 50MP is way-overkill.
Why would any normal person pay $1,200 for this and carry it along with their phone or tablet when the end result image is just as good?
Looking at the reflection, it appears someone used a mobile phone to capture this interview on video...

"Why are people making these big, heavy glass optics"
- To get the high quality images you CANNOT get on a small device like this....

BackdoorArts

ISO priority?
f1.0 depth of field?

Gimmick. Comparing things like that to DSLR glass quality is absurd.
Considering how most people use/share images, 50MP is way-overkill.
Why would any normal person pay $1,200 for this and carry it along with their phone or tablet when the end result image is just as good?
Looking at the reflection, it appears someone used a mobile phone to capture this interview on video...

"Why are people making these big, heavy glass optics"
- To get the high quality images you CANNOT get on a small device like this....

Not absurd at all when you limit the conversation to consumer level DSLR's, consumer glass and the way in which consumers tend to use them. Go back in time on this site alone and find all the threads that talk about going on vacation and wondering whether to pack one all-around lens or carry a couple. A D5500 and a couple zooms for a vacation will run you about the same, and you've now got one thing around your neck, another around your shoulder and you're looking left and right all the time waiting for someone to ruin your European vacation by stealing your stuff. Then you get home, do a quick edit on some free software that you don't quite understand yet and then stick up unsharpened 1000px copies on Facebook to make your friends jealous.

If this is how and why you use a DSLR then I would argue that this is a potentially game changing solution for that market.

No, this will not make a DSLR and great glass obsolete, it will just make it even more unnecessary than it is now for the casual photographer. And I'm more than OK with that.

And as I said above, I suspect things like f1.0 and 52MP's have to do with the additive properties available when multiple images are stitched together. 52MP's could relate to usable pixel information across all 10 lenses being used, and f1.0 is likely a measure of practical depth of field (as is calculated in things like the Brenizer Method panos) and not a measure of light passing through the lens. Again, you can call it hype or gimmicks, but I'm all for stuff like this.

Last edited:

carguy

Perhaps, but my point is you wil get VERY similar quality by using your phone or tablet. Why carry a second or third device when the point it to travel lighter?

My 'absurd' comment was due to them not isolating consumer glass. It's all in the marketing pitch I suppose.

I use my phone when I'm out and about, images outdoors are fine for things like family gallery/sharing/social media. I did just buy a compact camera to fill the gap between my phone and DSLR, and that has a DX sensor and fits in my pocket.

An item like this has a very limited market, they may or may not 'make it'. Time will tell.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Lots of marketing hype. A range of only 35-150mm equivalent is not very impressive. for the price, I doubt many casual photographers are going to be interested.

BackdoorArts

Perhaps, but my point is you wil get VERY similar quality by using your phone or tablet. Why carry a second or third device when the point it to travel lighter?

And that's where I think you're missing the difference of this camera. To use a car analogy, it's a Corolla with a Formula 1 engine in it. Phones and tablets have on image and editing software. What I'm seeing here is that this has multiple images created in concert and in your editing you're no longer limited to what you've captured in a single frame but instead you can utilize all the other information at your disposal to manipulate the parameters under which the photo was taken. Increased depth of field is no longer faked as much as it is manipulated with real image data captured at the same time.

There are 16 lenses across the front of that thing, but did you notice what they were?
  • Six 150mm f2.4 lenses
  • Five 70mm f2.4 lenses
  • Five 35mm f2.4 lenses

I'm guessing that these are arranged in a way that allows them to capture both varied depths of field as well be arranged in such a way that the varied angles to subject allow for a more 3-dimensional look. There's a lot of processing power going into these, with "zooming" likely being an interleaving of a crop from the smaller lens with a partial of the larger (you'll get stronger details in the center of the image, which is what you want 99% of the time - each lens is 2X the focal length of the previous).

If they get the software right (which is probably why this is 10 months away) the results are potentially nothing close to "very similar", which is precisely why you'd carry this along with your iPhone.

Look, these folks are not going after the people who are already happy using their phone for vacation and casual photography, they're going after the serious photographer who has spent time walking around with a bulky DSLR on occasions when they really wish they had a better alternative. Small mirrorless cameras are currently that alternative, and I love my a6000. But as soon as I move away from the 16-50mm kit lens I now have a small camera with a lens about as long as my 85mm on my Nikon, so it's not fitting in my jacket pocket. If the IQ is what they say it is, this could replace my Sony - or at least serve as a second when I go out with the D750.

I think that the people who might be interested in this camera are already using the camera in their phone and are happy with it. There are probably a few DSLR shooters that have unlimited funds and like geeky toys that will buy one and might use it for a little while but will soon go back to the Big Bulky DSLRs because they are just better.

I think I will just add a little to that amount and buy a D750