Picking up the Tamron 150-600 in about a month. Any last minute suggestions otherwise

Deuce808

I am finally going to get a super zoom, I am selecting the Tamron 150-600 based on reviews and pics I've seen. I also chose this due to price, control ergonomics like the zoom rotation direction, and overall feel while holding it. In the running were the Sigma 50-500 , the 150-600contemporary, and the Nikon 80-400. Any last minute words for or against the Tamron? This will be used in the d7000, and most likely will stay on a dx body even after I pick up a fx due to the crop factor.

mikew_RIP

Its well recorded the fun i had with one but i feel i was probably unlucky,its weakest point is 600mm but when it can do this at 600mm its not all that weak :D

1.jpg

Deuce808

I just noticed the price on the Nikon 200-500 is reasonable! I expected a lot more. Anyone think that this would best the Tamron? I would assume build quality and IQ would be better but would that trump a extra 100mm and a slight edge in speed?

mikew_RIP

I just noticed the price on the Nikon 200-500 is reasonable! I expected a lot more. Anyone think that this would best the Tamron? I would assume build quality and IQ would be better but would that trump a extra 100mm and a slight edge in speed?

If i hadn't got the deal i just got on the Sigma and the fact the Nikon is a bit heavier i think i may have gone for it.

Griso

I'm vaguely saving for a super zoom. I think the new Nikon 200-500mm can be used with a 1.4 teleconverter with good results, which for me would make me go for it. That's easy to say when I'm not in a position to buy though!

Your camera would need to af down to F8 though, so I wouldn't expect too much at dusk though (for my camera!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captain birdseye

i would think long and hard before buying the tamron.
too many users have issues with it on the nikon mount.
i would consider the sigma c or the new nikon.

gaddypaid

i had to send my 600mm tamron back last week to hong kong costly it was but still under warranty. The lens would not focus at times and had to turn the camera off and on again to get the focus motor to work and when it did focus it sounded like it was squeaking something was not right. So back to my 300mm till it comes back.

mikew_RIP

What exactly is the locking out issue and how do you get it working?

The lens just stops focusing,no reaction from it when you press the shutter button,switching the camera off and on,removing the battery or lens and refitting is needed,only one of those not all three :D