'Info display auto off' clarification

okulo

I haven't really bothered with the LCD screen when out taking photos but today I thought I'd play around to see how it feels.

I was aware that there is a proximity sensor to automatically turn the display off when it detects one's face (or any other object) near the viewfinder and that when the display is disabled, the right half of the display can be sed as a control surface. I thought I'd try this out but discovered that the display is only disabled if the screen is in 'Info' mode; i.e. with the 'rotary' control display and not in either the menu mode, playback mode or the info control mode (the info display where settings can be changed).

Doesn't this seem counterintuitive? Surely, one doesn't want one's nose toughing menu options or control options accidentally, so why not disable the display in all modes when the proximity sensor is triggered? Or maybe my camera is defective.

Could somebody please tell me if their camera behaves the same way? And if this is normal behaviour, could somebody please explain the logic?

okulo

Forgive me for bumping this but I would be grateful if somebody could spare a couple of minutes of their time to tell me if their D5500 behaves the same way; i.e. only disables the touch screen when showing the info screen below and no other - not the other info screen, not the menu screen or playback.

This is not my info screen, by the way.

Nikon-D5500-Menu-_.jpg

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I wish I could help you, but I have not seen a D5500 and don't know anything about the touch screen. I'm sure this will be seen eventually and someone will be able to help you out.

okulo

I just had an online chat with Nikon UK and it seems to be normal behaviour but they said they would put forward a suggestion that it is changed in future firmware.