50-300 Lens on a D5500

Pallando

I have a NIKKOR 50-300 in pretty good shape (No. 757232). I'm thinking of getting a D5500. Are these two compatible? If not, what would be a good substitute for the 5500 if I wanted to advantage the zoom?

Thanks

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,i take it that isnt a miss print and you do have the 50-300 and not the 55-300,if that is the case it would most likley work on the D5500 but one of the D7xxx range would be a better match as far as ease of use and compatibility is concerned.

mikew_RIP

Is this what you have,picture credited to K Rockwell

D3S_3441-600.jpg

Bill16

Oh great catch Mike! I mistakenly thought it was a 55-300mm lens!

Welcome to the forum,i take it that isnt a miss print and you do have the 50-300 and not the 55-300,if that is the case it would most likley work on the D5500 but one of the D7xxx range would be a better match as far as ease of use and compatibility is concerned.

Pallando

Mike:
Thanks for the timely response. Neither misprint nor miss print, whoever she may be, it is. An 'f = 50mm ~ f = 300mm ... Zoom NIKKOR Auto 1:4.5', carrying No.757232 is engraved below the cap. It has been used very little, and been waiting for a serious hobbyist's Nikon SLR to drop into an appropriate price range before mating the two. I had my mind made up for a D5500, but I'll check out the 7xxx per suggestion.

My lens is similar to yours in the picture, except the knurling on the zoom and focus rings is dissimilar. As the "No." (s/n) is not shown on your picture, it's difficult to know the lot to which it belongs. Major internal changes supposedly occurred at lens Nos. 740101 and 750101[SUP](1)[/SUP]for the 50-300, but I don't know any specifics.

Pallando

[SUP](1)[/SUP] Zoom-Nikkor 50-300mm f/4.5 Lenses

mikew_RIP

This is a list of what bodies will take which type of lens

Nikon SLR Camera and Lens Compatibility Chart

Its an area i have not looked into but its my understanding AI and AIS lenses will work on the D7XXX range in a more compatible way than with the D5XXX or D3XXX ranges in fact some lenses can damage those bodies (according to legend) the pre AI are always warned against.
Sorry i cant give you a definitive answer but you need to do some googleing