Lens Spots Help.

DMcL

Took this shot earlier today it was about 30 seconds using a wide angle lens, am I right to assume those hideous spots mean the lens needs cleaned? I wiped the outer glass bit still the spots appeared.

Appreciate any help.

spots.jpg

Zerobeat

I had some spots like this with my D700, turned out it was the sensor that needed attention. Swap a different lens, see if the spots remain. If so, sensor cleaning is in order.

Good luck!

Horoscope Fish

Took this shot earlier today it was about 30 seconds using a wide angle lens, am I right to assume those hideous spots mean the lens needs cleaned? I wiped the outer glass bit still the spots appeared.

Appreciate any help.

View attachment 180042
As perfectly hexagonal as those "spots" look, I'd say you had a light issue, not a dirty lens or sensor.

I'm betting you had some kind of reflection going on. Possibly between the lens and maybe an ND filter you were using for that 30-second exposure?

DMcL

As perfectly hexagonal as those "spots" look, I'd say you had a light issue, not a dirty lens or sensor.

I'm betting you had some kind of reflection going on. Possibly between the lens and maybe an ND filter you were using for that 30-second exposure?

Sounds like you could be on to something. I covered the view finder but not sure how else I could avoid these spots, or is it a case of just accepting them? I used a big lee stopper if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Bob Blaylock

Appreciate any help.

View attachment 180042

That looks like standard lens flare to me, albeit rather sparse as lens flares go.

Even though the sun its outside of the picture, I'd bet that the sunlight is directly hitting the front filter or element, and causing reflections within the lens system. That's what causes this.

The only way to prevent this is to either be turned far enough away from the sun that the sun doesn't hit the front of the lens, or else to use some sort of sun shade that blocks the sun from hitting the front of the lens.

DMcL

Just shot this again at 30 second and no spots so yes youse are spot on (excuse the pun) it's to do with glare etc rather than dust, dirt.

no spots.jpg

DMcL

That looks like standard lens flare to me, albeit rather sparse as lens flares go.

Even though the sun its outside of the picture, I'd bet that the sunlight is directly hitting the front filter or element, and causing reflections within the lens system. That's what causes this.

The only way to prevent this is to either be turned far enough away from the sun that the sun doesn't hit the front of the lens, or else to use some sort of sun shade that blocks the sun from hitting the front of the lens.

Cheers for your reply!

It was very cloudy out there today, the little sun that was breaking through was directly behind me.