Which 300mm?

Deuce808

Just wondering which of the 300mm f/4's people are using for moon shots. The AF or AFS? I see some shots where a 2x TC was used as well. I assume 3rd party? I've got a 1.4x Kenko Pro on the way and might be able to get a 2x fairly cheap.

mikew_RIP

Dont rush into a 2x they are often worse than cropping the image,most of the Nikon f4 300s are good and i think one of the f4.5s could be but not the old ais,hang on until some one with experience as far as 300s comes along.

salukfan111

The EDIF f/4.5 and f/2.8 should produce much better images that the f/4 especially in manual focus. These two lens produced most of the wonderful images you grew up enjoying National Geographic back before lightroom and photoshop when all you had to work with was the light hitting the film. The TC-200 will work well on the f/4.5 and TC-14B on both. I don't like the TC-300 as mikew said, it is better to crop than use that. I've tried the TC300 on the 300mm f/4.5, f2.8 and the 400mm f/3.5 (all much sharper than the 300mm f/4) it is a waste of time unless you need the extra boost on live image for a distant shot.

Deuce808

The EDIF f/4.5 and f/2.8 should produce much better images that the f/4 especially in manual focus. These two lens produced most of the wonderful images you grew up enjoying National Geographic back before lightroom and photoshop when all you had to work with was the light hitting the film. The TC-200 will work well on the f/4.5 and TC-14B on both. I don't like the TC-300 as mikew said, it is better to crop than use that. I've tried the TC300 on the 300mm f/4.5, f2.8 and the 400mm f/3.5 (all much sharper than the 300mm f/4) it is a waste of time unless you need the extra boost on live image for a distant shot.

Were you referring to the 300 4.5 edif ais? I couldn't find anything else besides that manual focus lens. I'm not interested in manual at the moment so it wouldn't fit my needs. The 2.8 is out of budget too. Looking fo mainly input on the 300 f4 af and the 300 f4 afs, specifically which would work better with or without a tc. This is all moot at the moment since KEH screwed me by sending the wrong item, might not even deal with acquiring a new one and put the money towards a super tele zoom.