Having autofocus issues (please see video)

raidernixon

Hi Everyone,

I am not really sure how to describe my camera's problem other than erratic autofocus behavior. I took a video through the view finder to show the problem. Please see the following youtube link:

As you can see, the mirror appears to be shifting and erratic sounds are occurring. The click towards the end of the video is me turning the autofocus switch off, then back on on the lense. The problem seems to happen every time auto focus is reset or adjusted. Sometimes, this prevents the camera from taking pictures in auto mode unless autofocus is turned off.

The camera is about 10 months old and just started this about a week ago. The camera has not been focusing quite as sharply. The camera has never been abused or dropped.

The camera is as follows:

Body: Nikon D5300
Lense (only one I have): Nikkor 18-140mm DX VR

I would appreciate any troubleshooting tips...I am somewhat new to the camera world and am not sure if there is something common in the camera settings I am overlooking that needs attention. The camera is clean, inside and out, including the electronics contacts on the lense/camera body.

I sincerely appreciate any help. I would prefer not having to send this back to Nikon if I can help it.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think you should send your video to Nikon service center and ask them. We are not part of the Nikon service dept.

raidernixon

Thanks folks. The problem has been presented to Nikon. In the meantime, if anyone has experienced this issue, please let me know what was determined to be the problem.

I will update with nikon's response when I receive one.