Beginner: Best deal out of these three?

Galahad

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I was wondering what the best deal out of these three were. All three are the same price and will mainly be used for landscape photography with a bit of occasional filming.

I've been looking at the Nikon D3300, Nikon D5200 and Nikon D5300. The D5200 is available with an 18-55mm ED II and 55-200mm lens; the D3300 is available with a 18-55mm VRII and a 55-200mm lens; and the D5300 is available with the 18-55mm VRII lens. All three packages are pretty much the same price, and like I said, would mainly be used for landscape photography with the occasional spot of filming.

Which would be the best to go for for a starter who likely won't have much money to invest in upgrades or new kit for a fair while?

Rick M

Everyone unloads the 55-200 eventually, take it out of the equation. Both kit 18-55's are very good, at your price point get the best body, the D5300, upgrade lenses from there.

480sparky

Yep. The only ones who keep the 55-200 are those who never really want to 'get better'. They stick with the 2 kit lenses as all they want is snapshots of their kids in the ball game and scenic images during vacations.

Start with either D5xxx camera with the 18-55 VRII and use them until they no longer serve your needs.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Having the 5300 and the 18-55 kit lens, I can say that you probably won't go wrong with it. I like the way it shoots. I also have the 70-300 which stays on the camera most of the time, only because of the reach and my shooting circumstances. The 18-55 seems to take sharper photos across it's spectrum.

Galahad

Thanks guys, really appreciated. Second question if you don't mind - do you know whether it is possible and, if so, how easy/functional it is to connect an android phone up with either the D3300 or D5300 to use as a 'live' monitor?