Raw use newbie

otro

Just bought first Raw format camera and need some help. I set the camera's format to RAW in the set-up menu but photos taken all show up in SD card not as nef but as jpeg. Tried the Raw+jpeg and, again, all shots are jpeg. What I am doing wrong?
Also, tried to open file in capturenx-d but all adjustments are greyed out. Is this because the files are not in raw?
Also, I'm using an iMac if that makes a difference
Thanks for any help offered.

Last edited:

Bourbon Neat

Welcome to the forum.

Well, to begin with, folks here will need more information about your camera to help you along. Have you referenced your user manual concerning this issue? All models of Nikon cameras have a pdf version of the user manual that can be downloaded from nikonusa.com website. The pdf version is searchable in the edit tab, drop down to find. Likely there is a setting in the menu somewhere that can be changed to remedy the situation.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You did mentioned that you set the raw format in "Set-up" menu... Well, it's in the shooting menu that you have to select the shooting mode. There should be a button in the back of the camera that says "Quality". Press that button and see which menu pops up. It should be where you, while pressing the quality button, turn the control command wheel (front or back depending on camera model) until you see RAW- Jpeg. This is where you can select raw only, or raw and jpeg and from there you can also select which jpeg format you want: large/fine, medium/fine, small/ fine,medium or small.

Good luck.

Marie Sorell

What kind of camera? What kind of software are you editing your images with? I had a learning curve when I first purchased a D7200. I didn't realize if you have a dual slot for SD cards it may be set as jpeg and not raw. Check that in your photo shooting menu.

Marie Sorell

I also remembered that you may want to check the dial on top of your camera. If you selected u1 or u2 they can be set up with different settings and one of them might be set up as jpeg as the default. Mine was.

otro

The camera is a D3200. Thanks to all the quick replies I found the solution. I had gone to the guide function as per the users manual to set the format to raw. It still shows raw but to correct problem on your advice I looked at the shoot menu and in upper right it still showed in raw. But then I hit the "i" button and the format showed "normal". I changed it there to raw and checked the sd card and sure enough, the files are in nef. Beautiful! Thanks again for the help.