new to photography need help please

Chris Lilley

hello fellow Nikon users, I need Help please I have a Nikon D3200 I bought on Amazon a zoom lens
TOP-MAX® 420-800mm f/8.3-16 High Definition Telephoto Lens for Nikon.

it appears to work ok but The picture I record is very dark before I take the shot the pic on the display screen is fine but on play back I have nothing I have to use the camera on M setting as on all the other settings the screen says lens not attached what am I doing wrong. thanks for your help in advance.

Chris

480sparky

f/8.3 and f/16 are very small apertures for a DSLR. It sounds as the you're so under-exposing the image there's no light being recorded. Either slow your shutter speed down, or raise the ISO. Or both.

In either case, I doubt you'll be happy with the results as those types of lenses have only one purpose to exist: To separate you from your money. They're really, and I hate to be the one to break it to you,.......... junk.

RocketCowboy

I would suggest that this lens is not being advertised correctly on Amazon. It may be suitable for the Nikon F-mount, and therefore "can" mount to your D3200, but with the widest aperture being f/8.3 I don't believe your camera will be able to autofocus with it. That also has me questioning their "High Definition" designation.

Can you post a sample image that you got from your picture with this lens attached? The EXIF data will help match up the camera settings and any info that the lens might be reporting back to the body. My suspicion is that the lens is not reporting anything, and thus why you need to shoot pure manual mode.

Otherwise, welcome to Nikonites!

aroy

If you have no idea of what exposure to set, here is a work around, using a CPU lens to give the exposure.
. Mount a lens with CPU. The kit 18-55 will do.
. Set ISO to 400.
. Set it in aperture priority mode "A".
. Point it at the object you want to shoot.
. The rear display should display the exposure speed.
. Now note the speed.
. Mount your Zoom.
. Set the mode to "M".
. Set the aperture ring on the lens to 16.
. Set speed to what you noted.
. Focus & Shoot. Your exposure should be correct.

If you shoot RAW, you can compensate the exposure by at least 3 stops either way.