FE2 - Digital Equivalent

Retro

I'm enjoying my FE2, and I'm just curious to know if there is a digital equivalent. I think the answer is no, but then, I know very little about cameras compared to most users on here.

If there is one, I'm afraid it might be the D3300, which is DX, so in my mind it wouldn't count. Because of the huge impact that the mid-level F series made (F80, F90, F100, and the F5) I guess Nikon would never go back to the functionality of the FE2. I think it would be a great idea though. A simple, fully manual, full frame camera. If only they had gotten the Df right.

Fred Kingston

I'll take a stab at this...

Outside of the frame size... between a DX and an FX... Any Nikon digital camera has the features of the FE, FE2 cameras... If you want full frame equivalency, then any of the Nikon FX series cameras will do exactly what the FE, FE2 series cameras do...

I guess a more accurate question would be, What functionality does an FE, FE2 have that any of the Nikon digital cameras doesn't have?

WayneF

Well, first thought is that we can simply ignore most of the digital menu selections, and just use the defaults. I have a D800, and I'm still not completely sure what some of the menus do. But they do nothing if I leave them alone. :) What happens is with time, we learn more and more about them. So you just start with a few basic menus, and ignore the rest for awhile.

Film and digital are simply different. We could buy different kinds of film for different results, but digital instead has the ISO and White Balance and Picture Control menus. Which model won't matter.

Digital has to be concerned with the memory card and buffer, and computer files and editors.

The really big difference is the processing. Unless you are already scanning film to convert to digital, digital is a really big difference. Not hard at all, in fact everything becomes easy, even the previously impossible becomes easy, but an image file is very different from a negative. The tools and options become computer operations.

I'm an old guy, but a retired programmer, and very familiar with computers. But most of my friends of my age can hardly tell a keyboard from a mouse. Some can do email and web browsing (as long as everything works), but anything new is always a big total mystery. They have digital compact cameras or phones, but all they can do is take the memory card in to be printed. They miss out on all that digital can offer in the computer. I guess I am trying to say if you are seriously comfortable with the computer, that will really help digital camera experiences.

The full frame FX cameras get expensive (and a few good FX lenses add tremendously to the cost). DX does a really fine job too, the major difference is that our lenses seem longer on DX. I was thinking (for low entry costs to get feet wet) of suggesting finding a cheap used older DX body. But that pains me, because the new bodies are tremendously improved, I think they've about got it now.

Lenses need to be at least AI compatible for any digital model.

One thing to know about the low end D3300, D5500, and some of the older low end models like D40, is that they need AF-S lenses. Probably most of your older lenses are not AF-S, which means they will not auto focus on the D3300, d5500 series. But any old AF lens should auto focus on like D7200 or D750.

But you may want to know that the Nikon manuals are at Nikon Product Manuals available for download | Nikon Knowledgebase

The manuals are computer searchable, and search for the section Compatible Lenses

You will need a new iTTL flash too.

Last edited:

aroy

I'm enjoying my FE2, and I'm just curious to know if there is a digital equivalent. I think the answer is no, but then, I know very little about cameras compared to most users on here.

If there is one, I'm afraid it might be the D3300, which is DX, so in my mind it wouldn't count. Because of the huge impact that the mid-level F series made (F80, F90, F100, and the F5) I guess Nikon would never go back to the functionality of the FE2. I think it would be a great idea though. A simple, fully manual, full frame camera. If only they had gotten the Df right.

If you want to use older Manual Focus Lenses without CPU, then the D3xxx and D5xxx would not work, except in fully manual mode - manual focus, manual exposure settings, manual flash setting. If you are comfortable with that then D3300 is the best option. Set it at ISO 100, Aperture Priority Mode and Shoot RAW. You need not fiddle with any other control. As I started with fully manual cameras and carried on with them till I changed to digital last year, manual settings and exposure calculation is automatic for me.

Regarding DX, there is nothing different from FX, excepting that the field of view is narrower, so wide angle lenses are never that wide, but on the other hand the telephotos are longer.

Unlike film, with digital you can verify immediately what you shot and whether the exposure was correct. If there is any thing lacking in the shot, shoot again after changing the settings.

Retro

After my first post, I remembered that the Df was intended to be a digital FE2, but I forgot about it because of its price tag, and the fact that it really doesn't fill the position in digital photography today that the FE2 filled in 1985, compared to the F3 and F4.

The FE2 was released at $550US, a week's wage for some of us back then. The D7200 retails for $1,196, also a week's wage for some of us. With inflation, and looking at cost alone, it is the same camera. Correct me if I'm wrong, be I think the FE2 was a semi-pro camera, often stored in a pro's camera bag as a back up to the F3, and I'm sure many National Geographic photos were taken with an FE2. I'm sure the D7200 occupies the same roll today. A pro can put an FX lens on a D7200 and get some stunning photos.

This was really the reason for my first post. Being DX the D7200, in my mind, can't compare to a film camera. Being $3,000 the Df, in my thinking, also cannot compare to the FE2.

It seems to me that the Df is the professional photographer's vacation toy. He uses his D810 or D3 all day, and when he goes out for a day of relaxation he takes his Df.