Looking for a good fx 1.8 short lens

John Norton

Hi,

I'm sure its been asked a hundred times, but I'm just not finding it - maybe I don;t know the lens line up well enough yet I don;t know but anyway - I'm looking for a wide(ish) full frame fast lens - perhaps the Nikon 35 1.8G, do you have any options or indeed sugestions - I'm not looking to the 1.4's though as they're a tad too expensive.

I've the D750 if that influences the choices.

Thanks,

John

Horoscope Fish

Well there's the Nikon 24mm f/1.8G ED and the 20mm f/1.8G ED... Did you want to go wider?

Whoops... Almost forgot the excellent shooting Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG ASP RF assuming you're open to non-Nikon glass.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Hi,

I'm sure its been asked a hundred times, but I'm just not finding it - maybe I don;t know the lens line up well enough yet I don;t know but anyway - I'm looking for a wide(ish) full frame fast lens - perhaps the Nikon 35 1.8G, do you have any options or indeed sugestions - I'm not looking to the 1.4's though as they're a tad too expensive.

I've the D750 if that influences the choices.

Thanks,

John
Thats pretty much all you're going to find at 1.8 on the widish side. I believe anything bellow that, would be 2.8 maximum aperture. 24mm,20mm,14mm stuff like that.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

John Norton

Well there's the Nikon 24mm f/1.8G ED and the 20mm f/1.8G ED... Did you want to go wider?
No, I'm just after something that will do full body shots and can be used on a very dark Christmas morning in a smallish front room.

Is Nikon the only choice or are there comparable offerings from Sigma etc?

Horoscope Fish

No, I'm just after something that will do full body shots and can be used on a very dark Christmas morning in a smallish front room.

Is Nikon the only choice or are there comparable offerings from Sigma etc?
Just added the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG ASP RF... Excellent choice right there.

Are you looking for a wide prime, specifically, or are you open to a wide-angle zoom? Do you have a budget in mind for this?

John Norton

I'm fine with zooms and I don't have a specific budget in mind but I don't want a Zeiss ;)

I'll take a look at the Sigma as I guess this isn't one of their new art lenses but I've alway rated Sigma as a good alternative.

John Norton

I had considered that but is there really that much over the 24-120 - a couple of stops I grant you but thats sort of why I started with talking about primes, I'd presume they'd be smaller (sorry if I'm wrong - I've not researched that much yet) and going to 1.8 rather than 2.8 gives a fair bit more "pop", especially given they're such a short range.

10 Gauge

Things to keep in mind. Generally speaking the longer the focal range of a zoom the less sharp it will be. This is why primes are always the king of sharpness. The 24-70 is a great compromise lens being that it's both fast and quite sharp.

It's hard to deny that having a super fast prime isn't "where it's at" though. Something about a narrow depth of field and creamy bokeh that pretty much can't be paralleled by much other than a prime or a fast telephoto zoom like the 70-200 2.8.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Blacktop

Whoops... Almost forgot the excellent shooting Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG ASP RF assuming you're open to non-Nikon glass.

just goes to show how much I know about wide lenses. What about the new 24mm 1.4?

John Norton

Ouch, thats an expensive fellow - thanks though.

I guess to look back over it my budget would be not much over £400 or so, I forgot there are "cheap", expensive middle and "I'm a millionaire" price banding's ;)