Flat picture control question

alfaholic

Banned
Hello everyone,

I have few flat picture control presets, and all of them are good in a sense that dynamic range is better, but almost in all situations other than bright sunny day my footage is very noisy and my D7100 shows some nasty banding in the shadow area, even at ISO100.

Even in the studio when lighying is good, in all areas without bright light there is so much noise and banding. For example, yesterday I made some music video and singers shirt was all with noise and banding.
I can post some examples.

My question is about flat preset, is it suitable for use in situations with low light, at night, im the studio, or it is made to br used only in scenes with high dynamic range?

Is there any general rule which picture controle preset is used in certain situations, because I am starting to think that flat preset is not so good at night or with scenes without enough light.

J-see

I'm not using video but besides that, I shoot flat all the time under all circumstances.

You have to keep in mind it is a profile that requires processing. It can show the occasional banding before being processed because it can "compress" the dynamic range. That evidently isn't affecting the RAW's DR; only the profile output.

Here's Nikon's page on Flat:

Flat

Last edited:

alfaholic

Banned
Thank you.

Yes, I know it needs processing.

So basically, I get the same noise and banding with Standard preset, but it is hidden because of much more contrast is added in the preset, and it will disapear from flat preset footage if I introduce the same amount of contrast as in Standard?

J-see

Your profile should not permanently affect the RAW; it only affects the JPEG (preview) of that RAW.

It's still possible you'll have banding or noise but there can be other reasons for such.

Mind you; this is about photography. I would not know what it does when shooting video.

To add; the noise you have, even at ISO 100, is inevitable in the lower light parts of the shot. ISO does not affect incoming noise since it is part of the signal. However, the curve applied by the profile can make it stand out more.

Last edited:

alfaholic

Banned
Well, I understand how RAW works, and it is clear that picture control preset does not change the file, but video is different because it is compressed in the camera.