Just got d5500

guyverlord3

I just a d5500 with 2 lens 18-55 and 55-200. I am going to doing family pics and nature pics. As well as vacations and old build (old hobby). I was wanting to know what a macro lens will do for me. Also if anyone knows a good 200-400 lens that is out there that want break the bank.

My last camera was a Pentax k1000 6 years ago. So I am going to have to relearn how to use the camera. SO for me. let the fun begin.

Bourbon Neat

Welcome to Nikonites forum and congrats on your new camera.

As @mikew stated, the Sigma 105mm is a very nice macro lens. That is what is mated to the D5500 here. With that said, there are others out there for less cheeze that perform well also. Just about any macro lens will be sharp and give you good performance. Go through the thread "Post Your D5500 Shots" and see what the Tamron 60mm on that body has done. http://nikonites.com/d5500/30236-post-your-d5500-shots.html. The Tamron 60mm macro is for dx format, they also have a 90mm macro for fx format that will work on dx.

As you hover your mouse pointer over an image, the exif data will popup for you to see. At the top is the camera model and at the bottom is the lens size.

For the longer lenses, again as mikew stated, the 150-600mm zooms. They are relatively affordable.

MaxBlake

As per the recommendations here ...

Just curious whether anyone has an opinion as to which of the two 150-600mm telephoto lenses that are on the market right now, and for the identical price, apparently, is the better value: the Sigma or the Tamron? I've read some of the online comparisons, of course, and in most cases it seems like a flip of the coin would settle things. I'd love to hear some first-hand recommendations. Thanks in advance.