time exposures

rojo

I have the D-5200 and the cheat sheet for it as well and can't seem to find out how to keep the shutter open for more than one second for doing time exposures. :upset:

el rojo

rojo

I downloaded the suggested file and went to page 41 but I still couldn't figure out how to set the time the aperture stays open.

Rojo

WayneF

Any DSLR model:

In camera mode M (manual) or mode S (shutter preferred), you can select a long shutter speed up to 30 seconds (which is actually 32 seconds), and it will do it. (You cannot set shutter speed in Auto or P or A modes).

Or, you can select Bulb (the slowest shutter "speed" setting), which will keep the shutter open as long as you hold the shutter button down. With Bulb, to avoid shaking the camera, you could use a remote shutter cord (MC-DC2 type for the D5200, Reference manual page 210), or equivalent inexpensive imports on Ebay, some of which have a lock switch to hold it open for you.

Or in the D5200,

the remote shutter mode (ML-L3 remote) has a Time setting, where the first click opens the shutter, and it stays open until the second click, which can be up to 30 minutes (make sure you have fresh battery). Reference manual page 60.

Last edited: