Image Management: Library Cleanup

MrRamonG

Windows Media Center has proven to be a great tool to manage my image library. WMC slide show is great. It can go into my library's many sub-folders as it randomly displays my images. In short, it can slideshow my entire image collection. As images come up I can rate them simply by pushing number keys. If I see anything come up that I want to delete I rate it one star. Anything I want to process or print gets a 4 or 5. The slide show is always going when my computer is on, half of one of my screens is dedicated to it. In Photoshop Bridge I created a collection that queries out all 1 star rated images. Every once in a while I fire that collection up and delete all the images. This method has proven to be easy, effective, and fun... as I get to see images I may have skipped over or simply forgotten about. Since I've been doing this I've easily relieved my library of about 30 GBs. But it sounds like Microsoft will not include WMC with Windows 10.... Cest la vie.

What are your methods for cleaning out your image library? I may need a new one.

Last edited:

MrRamonG

Thanks. Does Lightroom do random slideshows of your entire image library and allow you to rate images as the slideshow cycles?

MrRamonG

The ability to rate random images while I do other work is something I don't think I will find in an image management system. The screenshot below shows how Windows Media Center is running a random slide show of my entire library, allowing me to rate images as they are displayed, while I also do other work.

desktop3.jpg