Newbie looking to buy a zoom lens . . needs suggestions

dans309

Ive had my nikons d50 a couple years now but want to start taking pictures of grandkids sporting events and want to use a simple to use zoom lens, any suggestions

ryan20fun

I would say the 55-300 or 70-300.
But if money is an issue you can get the 55-200, But I found the 70-300 to be Significantly better.

HTH

Depending on your budget you can buy a refurbished lens. This company is very good and I have bought refurbished lenses and cameras from them and have always been very happy

This is a great deal @ $99
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR DX AF-S ED Zoom-Nikkor Lens - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

All the way up to new 77-300 @ $586.95
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G VR AF-S ED-IF Zoom-Nikkor Lens

Or you might want to consider going to a different camera all together (Since I did read you said Simple to use)

Amazon.com : Nikon COOLPIX L840 Digital Camera with 38x Optical Zoom and Built-In Wi-Fi (Black) : Camera & Photo

Nikon L830 vs D50 - Our Analysis
Built in zoom that will be a all in one for you so no need to change lenses. IT will shoot Full HD movies and had better picture quality. If you want simple and decent quality then this might be the option for you. Your local BestBuy has these or ones close to it in stock. Go look at what it has to offer.