D3200 & D40 Lens Fitment

adot45

I hope this is not an obvious question that been answered before but I would like some reinforcement of what I think I've learned. I have figured out that the 3200 can in fact, use the lenses for a D40....um right?.......what I would like to find out is, can the newer AF-s VR lenses for a 3200 be used on a D40? Many Thanks

Horoscope Fish

I hope this is not an obvious question that been answered before but I would like some reinforcement of what I think I've learned. I have figured out that the 3200 can in fact, use the lenses for a D40....um right?.......what I would like to find out is, can the newer AF-s VR lenses for a 3200 be used on a D40? Many Thanks
Yes. Nikon has used the same mount for it's lenses decades.

The only notable exception would be the Nikon 1 series of mirrorless cameras; they have their own, unique mount.

Last edited:

adot45

Well, yes, Nikon's bayonet mount has been around a long time....what I was trying to address was if the electronics of the lenses and camera bodies were compatible. I guess I wasn't very clear about what I am trying to find out. I have read that the d3200 can accept the older lenses, what I'm interested in is weather the newer lenses would work on the D40. Thanks

Horoscope Fish

Well, yes, Nikon's bayonet mount has been around a long time....what I was trying to address was if the electronics of the lenses and camera bodies were compatible. I guess I wasn't very clear about what I am trying to find out. I have read that the d3200 can accept the older lenses, what I'm interested in is weather the newer lenses would work on the D40. Thanks
Yes, they will.

The only ones that will not work ie the auto focus will not work are lenses with a worm drive focus system ..these are recognized by having 5 electrical connnections on the mount one a space and four more. D50 D70 D90 D 700 D 7x00 D8XX D 3/4 will work with all nikon autofocus lenses having both the worm drive and electrical connections for the auto focus

Last edited: